Premed 101 Forums

Is it okay to be reserved in an interview?

anon5678

One of the things I regret about my interviews this year is how reserved I was. In prep, I tried my best to be enthusiastic about topics for both personal and MMI questions. However, in the real thing, I just couldn't  go with that style. I just went with my reserved, level-headed, calm and logical self. I feel that's how I'm able to come across as most genuine. People always say "be yourself" in the interview and you'll do fine. But I always think that a good interview requires a high degree of enthusiasm. I've been told by a few people my style comes off as bored, distant, and unpersonable.

I did poorly on many of my interviews last year and all I can say that's changed is I was more concise (less repetition, rambling and going on tangents) and hopefully more articulate this year. But one of the things I wanted to change when reflecting on my poor performance last summer was changing my personality when interviewing. This didn't end up carrying through though.

Hi anon, that isn't something I would worry about. Adcom is looking for someone who would make a good doctor, and both introverted and extroverted people have qualities that are ideal.  

The things that you have improved on, which are basically communication skills, will serve you good if it helped you make the points you wanted to make. Personality is very difficult to change and unless you have a hateful personality, shouldn't be changed. Interviewers should recognize the strengths that come with each unique personality. Can't you think of a type of doctor who you'd rather be calm and collected versus easily excitable? Not every situation, including an interview station, requires an enthusiastic response.

Your genuine self is who should be presented during the interview and you did that.  

34 minutes ago, Eudaimonia said:

Hi anon, that isn't something I would worry about. Adcom is looking for someone who would make a good doctor, and both introverted and extroverted people have qualities that are ideal.  

The things that you have improved on, which are basically communication skills, will serve you good if it helped you make the points you wanted to make. Personality is very difficult to change and unless you have a hateful personality, shouldn't be changed. Interviewers should recognize the strengths that come with each unique personality. Can't you think of a type of doctor who you'd rather be calm and collected versus easily excitable? Not every situation, including an interview station, requires an enthusiastic response.

Your genuine self is who should be presented during the interview and you did that.  

Completely agree with the above.

It’s great that you did not try to change your personality during your interviews. 

If you are calm and reserved by nature, then doing just that during an interview is completely fine. I’m sure you came across as a genuine and collected individual, which is a great quality to have as a doctor. Being able to calm down patients in times of stress and panic is crucial and necessary.

Wish you good results in May!

Cheers!

I agree with the above. I've always wondered if the more enthusiasm would benefit us in the subjective components though. Positivity goes along way, I know a couple of people mentioned telling small "jokes" during their panel that the interviewers laughed at.

I'm pretty reserved as well, so I'll see how goes in May. This is going to be a long wait...

Of course, it's perfectly fine to be reserved/calm. But that is different from coming across as bored and distant, which has an unfriendly connotation to it. Given such feedback, I'd recommend videotaping yourself for a better self-assessment. You don't have to be brimming with enthusiasm and telling jokes to come as more friendly - just smiling more and leaning forward will help convey more warmth, as will employing more verbal social graces. Hopefully you performed better than you thought, and it's not an issue.

I don't think there's much point on dwelling on it too much right now - lets wait and see what awaits you. However, should you need to apply again, I do want to leave you with some productive advice rather than repeating the cliche "be yourself" , which I don't wholeheartedly agree with. I will say that its better off remaining true to yourself rather than giving an "act" that you are not sure you'll be able to deliver - but it is possible to practice and improve "enthusiasm" 

There are times where showing enthusiasm is important and will certainly set you apart - be it a debate about XYZ or the typical "where do you see yourself in 15 years" ... There is absolutely nothing wrong with improving or "adjusting" your "personality" for the interview. 

If there is a more specific scenario where you feel you were lacking and you want to share (without violating confidentiality) maybe we can flush it out. 

Edit: and while its true that not all doctors need to enthusiastic and adcoms are very well aware of this too, if I had to choose between to applicants with equal stats, I would pick the enthusiastic one... and that was enough motivation for me to practice being "enthusiastic" 

I have some videos I recorded from prep. If anyone would be so kind, could you please PM me and take a look at some of these? I have a few videos from prep where how I felt during that prep was pretty much how I felt in the real thing. Would really appreciate some honest feedback, even though it's too late to do anything now.

Archived