Premed 101 Forums

Is UofT purely a numbers game?

Hi all, 

I've noticed that uoft does not look your CVs, essays/PS or recommendation letters unlike many other med/dental schools nowadays. So is it safe to assume that you just need high gpa and DAT in order to get an interview and possibly an admission? There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, I just thought it was odd considering many medical and dental schools are now enforcing more "holistic" admission process. If it is purely a numbers game, does that mean those people who got outright rejected with near 4.0 gpa and 23+ dat just had a bad interview day? Unless interview counts for more than I think it does or there is a "joker card" in the admission formula that no one knows about (ex. personality test), it seems like it's really difficult for an interviewee with low stats to beat an interviewee with perfect stats. 

Thanks! 

no one knows about the formula. But from all the 4.0s that I've seen get rejected, the interviews and personality test are 100% after getting an interview. But you're right. So far at uoft, get the numbers and you're guaranteed an interview. Most accepted applicants have a lot on their resume regardless, had they not been accepted to the program.

2 hours ago, Dentistry101 said:

no one knows about the formula. But from all the 4.0s that I've seen get rejected, the interviews and personality test are 100% after getting an interview. But you're right. So far at uoft, get the numbers and you're guaranteed an interview. Most accepted applicants have a lot on their resume regardless, had they not been accepted to the program.

Do the interviewers ask specific questions about your extracurriculars? I don't have any research experience and don't see myself being able to get any before I apply before the end of this year. However, I do have volunteering, shadowing and work experience. 

On 4/16/2018 at 1:44 PM, helppls said:

Do the interviewers ask specific questions about your extracurriculars? I don't have any research experience and don't see myself being able to get any before I apply before the end of this year. However, I do have volunteering, shadowing and work experience. 

They probably won't ask direct questions about extracurriculars, but it helps you be a more memorable applicant. Relating experiences in your life to your questions instantly enhances your answer. I touched on aspects from volunteering, playing an instrument, and dancing. The interviewers like to hear about stuff like that because it is different and more original. It shows that you are a person, not a 4.0 robot. I have met many people who have achieved very high averages, but they do nothing outside of school and have little to show other than that 4.0, which is not the most important part of life by a LONG SHOT.

Archived