Premed 101 Forums

MCAT study material

Kez

Hello everyone !

I've enrolled in a Kaplan Prep course so I will be receiving some material from them. I was wondering if any of you have recommendations on what additional material I could buy/use to study. 

Thank you for your answers !

12 hours ago, Kez said:

Hello everyone !

I've enrolled in a Kaplan Prep course so I will be receiving some material from them. I was wondering if any of you have recommendations on what additional material I could buy/use to study. 

Hey! I can't recommend the AAMC practice banks and practice tests enough. I found them to be the most helpful because it helped me identify gaps in my knowledge, answer traps, and question styles. If you can afford to get them, I most definitely would. 

I also really liked Khan academy videos for anything I didn't fully understand. I liked the content of the Kaplan books but didn't find they gave adequate questions at the end of chapters (the princeton review gives passages every chapter), so I would definitely recommend supplementing the books with more MCAT-style questions. I've heard good things about the exam krackers question books from friends but didn't personally use them

Best of luck! 

13 hours ago, Kez said:

Hello everyone !

It sounds like you're off to a good start OP! Best of luck!!

57 minutes ago, AM22476 said:

Hey! I can't recommend the AAMC practice banks and practice tests enough. I found them to be the most helpful because it helped me identify gaps in my knowledge, answer traps, and question styles. If you can afford to get them, I most definitely would. 

I also really liked Khan academy videos for anything I didn't fully understand. I liked the content of the Kaplan books but didn't find they gave adequate questions at the end of chapters (the princeton review gives passages every chapter), so I would definitely recommend supplementing the books with more MCAT-style questions. I've heard good things about the exam krackers question books from friends but didn't personally use them

Best of luck! 

I will second the awesome advice above from @AM22476 :) 

I will add my own experience that the AAMC resources are super helpful. And I've heard that Kaplan doesn't give the best overview of the biological science stuff, so maybe try and find outside resources for that. Personally, I used TPR with Examkrackers and AAMC. I used the 1001 Examkrackers questions also. And found that having a lot of resources for sections I wasn't understanding was really helpful. 

1 hour ago, Koopatroopa said:

It sounds like you're off to a good start OP! Best of luck!!

I will second the awesome advice above from @AM22476 :) 

I will add my own experience that the AAMC resources are super helpful. And I've heard that Kaplan doesn't give the best overview of the biological science stuff, so maybe try and find outside resources for that. Personally, I used TPR with Examkrackers and AAMC. I used the 1001 Examkrackers questions also. And found that having a lot of resources for sections I wasn't understanding was really helpful. 

Also a good point on the biological sciences. I found Kaplan biology did lack a bit, and didn't cover some things I did see on the exam. Luckily I had supplemented with TPR, Khan, and the aamc stuff, so I was still covered. 

I certainly wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket. If you can afford additional resources they are great for cross referencing and doing more practice! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I'm a current family medicine resident, and graduate of med school in 2016. I have a 30 page guide of everything you need to know to get into Canadian medical schools. Here's the table of contents!! Let me know if you're interested by emailing medschoolexpert@gmail.com! 

Only 10$ :)

B

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 3.29.12 PM.png

Archived