Premed 101 Forums

Pass/Fail system while applying to Quebec francophone schools

Hello,
I am currently a french-speaking student in Ottawa, originally born in Montreal, planning to apply for Residency back in Quebec. I have checked on the carms website the program description for some of the Quebec programs, and see that some of them take into consideration the numerical grade we got in medical school. Unfortunately in Ottawa, we only receive a pass or fail grade, and for residency programs like Sherbrooke, med school grades can count for up to 50% (the other 50% being the interview). 

Does anyone know how these french schools take into consideration applicants like myself? I imagine students from McGill applying to the francophone schools are also stuck in a similar position. 

I applied broadly to Quebec from an anglophone pass/fail school. They didn't ask for any numerical grades. They just received my pass/fail transcript. I don't know if it made any difference; I received interviews offers from all 4 schools but that could be program dependent. I would email the programs you are interested in and inquire if you're worried but from my experience, it didn't seem to deter my application. Also, I may be wrong but I've heard that some Quebec schools are transitioning to pass/fail systems.

Not having grades could actually be helpful - since for example, only great grades could really help you otherwise.  There is transitioning to P/F ^ and McGill students routinely match to the francophone schools.  Some PDs may be more grade focused, but in the end a P/F transcript will just probably mean they look at clerkship and other aspects more carefully.  Relevant electives in a French environment would probably help.  

Laval has also approved the transition to the pass/fail system. If I'm not mistaken, it will be implemented with the next cohort in Fall 2018.

That being said, several programs at Laval have already made adjustments (such as eliminating the cutoff GPA to consider applications) and you shouldn't have any problem when/if applying to Laval's programs. Good luck! :) 

Archived