Premed 101 Forums

Most braindead easy electives?

Just a word of advice: easy electives depend more on who the preceptor is rather than the specialty. Obviously, the specialty would make a difference e.g. don't sign up for a Neurosurg elective expecting it to be easy. That being said, I've had some classmates do neurosurg at a community hospital and basically chill all the time, because the surgeons were like, ya, you're not going to operate, go see a consult and chill. 

Some family docs do hospitalist, which can be super chill, but it can also be super easy depending on the hospital and the person you're with, so it really can be hit and miss. I did urology in a community hospital and boy it was awesome. never had to round on patients in the AM. ORs are done by 2pm. Just stood and watched a lot and every now and then put a Foley in LOL

People could probably help you more if you give us an idea of where you are/want to do an elective in and what specialty you hope to match to...

In med school there was a bunch of people who did the geriatrics hospital consulting service.  Essentially a consult takes 3 hours because you have to call family for collateral...so if there was no new consults by 2pm you could go home (because it would be left for the next day).  I remember someone telling me they saw 2 patients in a 2 week elective haha.  Obviously this is centre dependant, you really need to ask around.  

Haha same as skyuppercutt.. I did my gen surg rotation in community. ORs were from 8-3 and clinics 9-4. One of my most relaxed rotations in clerkship hahah. I probably did more suturing than those who did they rotation in academic centers. I was often first assist during surgeries and manipulated the laparoscopic camera. Win win for me.

Relaxed also depends on what you like doing. I've been on rotations that I loved where working 7am-7pm didn't feel like work.. I've also been on purportedly easy rotations that I hated and so even working 8am-4pm felt like torture.

That being said, in general, radiology and psychology are probably good "easy" rotations. At my center, radiology is a lot of self studying and observation. Plus, having basic knowledge in radiology is important for most specialties. 

21 hours ago, F508 said:

Haha same as skyuppercutt.. I did my gen surg rotation in community. ORs were from 8-3 and clinics 9-4. One of my most relaxed rotations in clerkship hahah. I probably did more suturing than those who did they rotation in academic centers. I was often first assist during surgeries and manipulated the laparoscopic camera. Win win for me.

Relaxed also depends on what you like doing. I've been on rotations that I loved where working 7am-7pm didn't feel like work.. I've also been on purportedly easy rotations that I hated and so even working 8am-4pm felt like torture.

That being said, in general, radiology and psychology are probably good "easy" rotations. At my center, radiology is a lot of self studying and observation. Plus, having basic knowledge in radiology is important for most specialties. 

Note to self: do my gen surg rotation in a community hospital.

• 8 months later...

Non-Clinical electives were available when I did medical school for things like public policy or health economics or other medicine-related fields. These electives were essential 9-4 comprised of mostly shadowing and minimal expectations. Really opened my eyes to how chill it is to have a cushy government job compared to any field of medicine haha. 

On 1/2/2019 at 3:06 PM, blah1234 said:

Non-Clinical electives were available when I did medical school for things like public policy or health economics or other medicine-related fields. These electives were essential 9-4 comprised of mostly shadowing and minimal expectations. Really opened my eyes to how chill it is to have a cushy government job compared to any field of medicine haha. 

I mean if you're talking about public health practitioners vs MOHs there's a difference in amount of work. It's similar to FM where once you start practicing you have some more control as to how busy you will be depending on the level of responsibility you take / get hired for. 

But I do agree at the med student level no one expects you to contribute significantly to a population health assessment or know the ins and outs of surveillance data. For a one-time elective it will be mostly shadowing and learning different aspects of those jobs. 

It will also depend on how long you want to do the elective for. Having done a 2 week vs 4 week elective in PHPM I did considerably more work in the 4 week one (albeit I was also trying to get noticed) than the 2 week one where I mostly shadowed. 

- G 

Archived