Premed 101 Forums

I'm at the Mississauga campus, here are my thoughts but I encourage you to read through old threads here and ask other people if you can

Pros:

-for clinical rotations you are often one-on-one with staff or at least just you and 1-2 other students, a resident, and a staff. You have the opportunity to be very involved at all times, whereas I have heard of students downtown being left out when there are multiple residents and fellows on your team

-from what I have heard from students downtown I think the call schedules for clerkship in Mississauga are a bit more chill

-very nice facilities on campus for preclerkship, the HSC building is great, and all of the admin staff are also wonderful and somehow manage to know all the MAM students by name

-can be slightly cheaper in terms of rent

Cons:

-not as many research opportunities if that's your thing, there is always the option to do research projects downtown but then the commute can be a pain

-if you want something supercompetitive like plastics, ophtho, may be a bit harder to work with the program directors or get letters from the big names in the field, but overall I think our class does as well as downtown for CaRMS

-Mississauga is a lot more spread out so car is more of a requirement (although certainly there are students who have managed without one)

-not as much nightlife in Mississauga, many class social events will be downtown requiring travel

-for most lectures and interest group meetings you will be on videoconferencing at MAM with the speakers downtown, so can make it harder to ask questions

I was very happy with MAM and would definitely choose it again if I had the option, but there are certainly many who only would want to be in Toronto and that's understandable

25 minutes ago, futurefamilydoc said:

I'm at the Mississauga campus, here are my thoughts but I encourage you to read through old threads here and ask other people if you can

Pros:

-for clinical rotations you are often one-on-one with staff or at least just you and 1-2 other students, a resident, and a staff. You have the opportunity to be very involved at all times, whereas I have heard of students downtown being left out when there are multiple residents and fellows on your team

-from what I have heard from students downtown I think the call schedules for clerkship in Mississauga are a bit more chill

-very nice facilities on campus for preclerkship, the HSC building is great, and all of the admin staff are also wonderful and somehow manage to know all the MAM students by name

-can be slightly cheaper in terms of rent

Cons:

-not as many research opportunities if that's your thing, there is always the option to do research projects downtown but then the commute can be a pain

-if you want something supercompetitive like plastics, ophtho, may be a bit harder to work with the program directors or get letters from the big names in the field, but overall I think our class does as well as downtown for CaRMS

-Mississauga is a lot more spread out so car is more of a requirement (although certainly there are students who have managed without one)

-not as much nightlife in Mississauga, many class social events will be downtown requiring travel

-for most lectures and interest group meetings you will be on videoconferencing at MAM with the speakers downtown, so can make it harder to ask questions

I was very happy with MAM and would definitely choose it again if I had the option, but there are certainly many who only would want to be in Toronto and that's understandable

Thanks! I ended up putting the downtown campus first but I'd be equally happy at Mississauga - I'm not from the GTA so it's not as if I'd be giving up an urban lifestyle.

Archived