Premed 101 Forums

Time commitment of interviews?

ownder

Hey y'all,

I'm applying this fall and I am wondering how time consuming actual interiews are (if I even get one lel)? Is it just a weekend ordeal or is there more involved besides the obvious prep? Im wondering how course load will work into this becuase I am looking at a rather heavy year.

The prep takes time.  The interviews themselves not so much--4-6 hours total on a Saturday if I remember (by the time you sit through presentations etc).  You also have to travel there, so if its far it takes time.  I certainly wouldn't alter my course schedule based on a possible interview time commitment lol

As mentioned the interviews are typically a one day or half day affair, minus the typical social activities the night before. 

This of course doesn't factor prep into the equation. If you're looking at a rather heavy year I would focus on some prep this summer. Since the interview is often what will help set you apart, it's never too early to start getting ready. 

The prep takes time. Like other people said, if you're a bit more free over the summer, you can start doing some light practice then and just ease yourself into it slowly. In terms of the actual interview day, if you're coming from somewhere that you can't comfortably drive in with time to spare, I would come in the night before and you can leave the same day as the interview. This is especially important if you end up interviewing relatively early when the weather can be pretty bad. 

1 hour ago, Med Eye said:

Also factor in the time and energy spent thinking about your interviews/getting nervous etc. It can really start to dominate your life very quickly. 

Completely agree.

The months before the interview is a lot of reading, practicing, and stuffing as much medical, current events, and ethical knowledge in your brain. 

The day of the interview goes by like a blur and by the end of it, it feels like you’ve run a marathon.

Then the months after the interviews are the worse. It is a long, agonizing, anxious wait.

I disagree with most people on this thread. Having interviewed multiple applicants for medical school admissions, I can say that the preparation people speak of is completely blown out of proportion. You can learn all the "mandatory" knowledge you need for interviews within a weekend. Figure out how the Canadian Healthcare System is set up and read the first paragraph of Doing Right and your pretty much set. The rest of it is about self reflection and light practice on delivery of content. I would say light practice for 2-3 weeks would be as much as you need. Your interview performance is mostly about showcasing yourself. As much as this sounds cheesy, but your interview preparation is your life experience.

Archived