Premed 101 Forums

Question about Alberta Residency

"A resident of Alberta is defined as a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident (Landed Immigrant) who has been continuously resident in the Province of Alberta, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories or Nunavut for at least one year immediately before the first day of classes of the term for which admission is sought." 

Does that mean that I would be considered an Alberta resident in for the October 2018 application if I moved there this August or I would be considered a resident in October 2019? Looking at moving out west once my Master's is done in August and was just wondering if anyone could clarify on what this sentence means. Also is first day of classes usually Sept 1st?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Roronoaa said:

As long as you move 1 year before classes start you will be considered a resident. You might have to provide some proof (lease, bank statements, employment etc..) so be prepared for that. 

Thank you!!

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

How many days a year are required for residence? In the Alberta care card application website it said 183 out of 365. Is this the same for UoA?

On 4/19/2018 at 9:54 PM, smac said:

"A resident of Alberta is defined as a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident (Landed Immigrant) who has been continuously resident in the Province of Alberta, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories or Nunavut for at least one year immediately before the first day of classes of the term for which admission is sought." 

Emphasis mine. In case there's still doubt, I'll refer to the second sentence from the U of A's website: "The one-year residence period shall not be considered broken where the admission committee is satisfied that the applicant was temporarily out of the province on vacation, in short-term employment, or as a full-time student"

So, 365 days - short-term vacations - short-term employment - time spent as a full-time student (provided you previously met criteria to be an Alberta resident)

3 hours ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

If I bought a place in Alberta in August and worked and lived there 4-5 days a week with weekend trips to another province or the States, etc. would that count do you think?

The only one who could tell you for sure is the admissions office, but that does seem to satisfy the criteria of living there 1 yr prior to matriculation with only short-term trips outside of Alberta

My friend was thinking of moving to Alberta for a year to apply as an IP,  and called the admission office to confirm. 

They stated that 1 year of Alberta residency is a minimum requirement, but it will be ultimately at their discretion in deciding whether an applicant is IP or OOP. 

They were very vague about the process, and won't clarify further.. :mellow:

6 hours ago, TILs said:

My friend was thinking of moving to Alberta for a year to apply as an IP,  and called the admission office to confirm. 

They stated that 1 year of Alberta residency is a minimum requirement, but it will be ultimately at their discretion in deciding whether an applicant is IP or OOP. 

They were very vague about the process, and won't clarify further.. :mellow:

So even if you technically qualify as IP they could still label you OOP?

-.-

I can't say for sure, but they were not black or white about it. :( 

They probably don't want ppl to take advantage of the IP system, but I wish it could be clear cut. It could even be more strict (maybe 2 years of residency), rather than being ambiguous about it. It takes a lot of risk and effort move to another province. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 6:48 AM, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

If I bought a place in Alberta in August and worked and lived there 4-5 days a week with weekend trips to another province or the States, etc. would that count do you think?

They seem to have changed the 1 year requirement to 3 years :blink: so it's a good thing you didn't end up moving!

Easily the most volatile medical school in Canada. First, they get rid of 2/3 year applicant pool 1 month before last year's application cycle while all of the 2/3 year applicants were getting their verifiers and references in line. Then they decide to not use GPA in the assessment of applicants but won't tell us definitively (they'll supposedly decide once they get all of the apps?), and now this. At least UofC gives us a one-year warning before any changes take place. The school is so shady and volatile, they could be assessing us solely based the colour of hair by the beginning of the next app cycle (they won't tell us of course). I really wonder what the dean is thinking at this point.

10 minutes ago, IntakeOuttake said:

Easily the most volatile medical school in Canada. First, they get rid of 2/3 year applicant pool 1 month before last year's application cycle while all of the 2/3 year applicants were getting their verifiers and references in line. Then they decide to not use GPA in the assessment of applicants but won't tell us definitively (they'll supposedly decide once they get all of the apps?), and now this. At least UofC gives us a one-year warning before any changes take place. The school is so shady and volatile, they could be assessing us solely based the colour of hair by the beginning of the next app cycle (they won't tell us of course). I really wonder what the dean is thinking at this point.

Haha I didn't notice before as I only found out about 2/3 year applicants during interview weekend so I didn't know the backstory. But now that you point it out, there does seem to be a pattern of short-notice or seemingly abrupt changes (even if they are not unfair ones). That GPA one though came up after apps were sent in! 

Although it is the schools' rights to change these things, most schools give ample notice about upcoming changes so people can plan, sometimes even before details are finalized. It's just courteous, as these applications aren't cheap.

4 hours ago, IntakeOuttake said:

They also added in CASPER, an essay, and a panel interview over the course of only a couple cycles smh

• 2 weeks later...

On 6/25/2018 at 5:30 PM, Confluence said:

They also added in CASPER, an essay, and a panel interview over the course of only a couple cycles smh

If you thought that was bad check out the new Alberta residency requirements: https://www.ualberta.ca/medicine/programs/md/applying/citizenship-residency

"You must have physically resided in Alberta for the three years directly preceding the first day of classes of the term for which admission is sought.

However, if you have left the province but have previously lived in Alberta for an accumulated period of 15 years, you will be considered a resident of Alberta."

On 7/5/2018 at 12:45 PM, medbruh said:

If you thought that was bad check out the new Alberta residency requirements: https://www.ualberta.ca/medicine/programs/md/applying/citizenship-residency

"You must have physically resided in Alberta for the three years directly preceding the first day of classes of the term for which admission is sought.

However, if you have left the province but have previously lived in Alberta for an accumulated period of 15 years, you will be considered a resident of Alberta."

• 3 months later...

Archived