Premed 101 Forums

About the basic science Prerequisities

bigboydyo

Apologies if the answer to these questions could've been deduced online -- I read the McGill guidelines for the prereqs but I still struggle to find the answer for a few questions. Here's hoping that someone could help me out. For reference, I am a McGill Bsc student in U2.

1) As a CEGEP graduate, I will be applying on my 3rd (final) year with my 60 Uni credits as a basis for admission. I believe that I qualify for Option 2 (hopefully, because my CEGEP final year grades weren't the most competitive), however since I was exempted from both organic chemistry courses in McGill Uni due to having done them in CEGEP, what will they use to substitute/calculate my prereq GPA?

2) They said that a mammalian physiology course is needed for Option 2, and they suggested PHGY 209 -- however, is it possible to use my PHGY 210 as prereq instead, given that the courses pretty much follow each other and are both mandatory courses for Med-P year (meaning that they are actual prereqs for Med)? 

3) This might be a stretch, but as a substitute for molecular biology, is it possible to use BIOL 202 instead of BIOL 200? The nature of my two last questions (2 and 3) reflect the fact that I was extremely unmotivated and not serious in my 1st semester, however I did exceptionally well in every sequential semester, and I was hoping that I would have some level of selectivity for my prereq GPA calculation.

EDIT: Also, wanted to add that in CEGEP I did Health Sciences at Dawson, effectively covering every of the Basic science pre-requisites, I imagine.

Anyways, I appreciate any answers.

Option 2's organic chemistry MUST be taken in university. CEGEP-level organic chemistry can only count for Option 1. You might want to take it at McGill next fall if you want to use Option 2, as they allow for incomplete courses at the time of application if they will be completed by Jan. 15.

As for PHGY 210 and BIOL 202, you're best off asking the admissions office directly if they would accept them as substitutes in Option 2. If BIOL 202 has lab, it might also be considered as one of the two bio courses in Option 1, so you might want to ask about that too.

Best of luck :)

12 hours ago, MedP111 said:

Option 2's organic chemistry MUST be taken in university. CEGEP-level organic chemistry can only count for Option 1. You might want to take it at McGill next fall if you want to use Option 2, as they allow for incomplete courses at the time of application if they will be completed by Jan. 15.

As for PHGY 210 and BIOL 202, you're best off asking the admissions office directly if they would accept them as substitutes in Option 2. If BIOL 202 has lab, it might also be considered as one of the two bio courses in Option 1, so you might want to ask about that too.

Best of luck :)

Thanks for the info. The fact that they allow for incomplete courses at time of application is interesting; so they would only use it should I get an interview and they need to calculate the prereq GPA, by the time which I would have completed Org Chem 2 and received my marks... However, the question remains whether Org Chem 2 would even count for credits in my case (I wouldn't mind if it counts for an elective) given that I'm exempted from it. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2018 at 11:19 PM, med010203 said:

Hi!

Do you guys think its okay if i do my prereq for organic chemistry and biology at Thompson River University online?. Are they gonna accept my prereq at mcgill?

Do you recommend any online university?

Hi, I will re-do A LOT of my pre-reqs this summer, I applied at Athasbaca University. They have home labs, but indeed it isn't cheap. Feel free to send me questions in my private inbox. I will re-do organic chemistry at Vanier College, because Athabasca doesn't have the home labs for this course. 

7 hours ago, 20206111 said:

Hi, I will re-do A LOT of my pre-reqs this summer, I applied at Athasbaca University. They have home labs, but indeed it isn't cheap. Feel free to send me questions in my private inbox. I will re-do organic chemistry at Vanier College, because Athabasca doesn't have the home labs for this course. 

Hi! I was wondering how can I apply to re-do a prereq course at Vanier? Is it too late to do it for next fall? 

On 5/19/2018 at 7:21 PM, med1998 said:

Hi! I was wondering how can I apply to re-do a prereq course at Vanier? Is it too late to do it for next fall? 

Nope! Summer school starts in june. Application is online May 30th! Go on continuing education on their website.

Archived