Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Support Thread

Hello everyone,

I am starting this thread for people on the waitlist!!

Does anyone know the answer for the following questions:

(1) How many individuals are typically on the waiting list?

(2) What is the probability that IP vs OOP applicant get out of the waitlist? Is it only around ~35% for IP applicants? How much movement is typical for IP applicants?

Thank you in advance!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, toomuchcoffee said:

I just want to know, people seem genuinely happy to be on the waitlist, but I am super sad about it. Should I not be? Are the chances really not that bad?

I am grateful to be on the WL, but tired of waiting. I also do not think that I have a high chance as I have significantly below average GPA and low CARS score.

Hi guys!

I just want to shout out to hang in there if you're on the waitlist. It is tough. I've been there...3 years in a row. Being on the waitlist feels like purgatory!

Allow yourselves to feel sad, happy, angry or whatever emotion...they're all valid.

Do use the time to reflect on your next steps. Don't let the waitlist hold you back from doing what you want with your life.

LL

Does anyone know when the waitlist moves? Will it be ongoing (ie. when U of A offers next week, will Calgary send offers as people decline) or will they wait until May 25th to do it all at once? 

I feel a bit more hopeful today after seeing that calgary sent like 100 (!!) more offers than were accepted last year (to me that seems really high and I dont know if IP and OOP are different waitlists).  

Based on my experience with the waitlist last year (I'm assuming it won't be radically different this time around), I wouldn't expect any movement on the wl for about two weeks as they will wait for everyone to respond to their offers of admission and then send out one wave of invites together to everyone at the top of the list. This process repeats itself on a much smaller scale with those offers and another wave gets sent out 3-5 days after that. After that, I believe things start to roll on an individual basis with offers getting sent out one-by-one until the class gets filled. At this time, people near the bottom of the waitlist will start to be notified that they are unlikely to get a spot but that they gave it a good shot and they should apply again next year.

Also remember that even if there were around 100 more offers sent than were accepted last year, the University also initially sends out more offers than it has seats available (by like 15% I think? Feel free to correct me if that number's wrong). So 100 declined offers unfortunately does not equal 100 people getting in off the waitlist :(

I'm not sure exactly how many people are on the waitlist year to year (I heard it ballparked at around 110 or so but really who knows) or what the percentage of IP vs OOP is. I do remember there being a lot more movement for OOPs last year with  but it's possible that was an anomaly or maybe it was just my IP status biasing me and making it seem that way.

Anyways, here's to another year stuck in limbo on the old waitlist! Best of luck to all you guys. Try not to stress out too much (leave that to me lol) and enjoy the beautiful spring weather I keep being told is coming our way!

I’ve been looking at these forums for awhile and decided to jump in since I’m on the waitlist this year...

Based on Dr. Walker’s blog (from a year or so ago), they send out 1.2 offers per spot. So if they have 157-159 spots that’s ~190 initial offers. If they average about 250 offers per year, is there about 60 waitlist offers sent out?  

I know it varies year to year and really we have no idea but just wanted to see if that makes sense to anyone else? 

I got in to u of a today so i will be taking my name off the waitlist. Good luck to everyone still waiting. This is my 4th time applying so if I can give any advice, it is to honestly never give up if this is something you really want to do. 

• 3 weeks later...

25 minutes ago, amygdala said:

Did anyone hear anything today?? 

Maybe we’ll hear on Monday or even Tuesday. Seems like the waitlist began moving on the 29th last cycle.

nonetheless the wait has been feeling like an eternity now!! Hang in there folks! 

I did not hear anything...Were your verifiers checked after they sent the offers?

1 hour ago, MMI 2017 said:

No, they were not. I am not sure what it means if it it means anything ???

Looking back on previous years, there doesn't appear to be any correlation between verifier checks and admissions from the waitlist. At least one of mine was contacted the Monday following initial offers, but it appears to be somewhat random based on previous forum posts. 

14 minutes ago, LIM2018 said:

Looking back on previous years, there doesn't appear to be any correlation between verifier checks and admissions from the waitlist. At least one of mine was contacted the Monday following initial offers, but it appears to be somewhat random based on previous forum posts. 

Were you offered a spot or are you on the WL?

15 minutes ago, Snoop_doc123 said:

Didn’t hear anything today. And my verifiers haven’t been checked at all. I don’t know anyone on the waitlist whose verifiers have been checked. Do you guys know anyone?  

I know of a person whose verifiers were checked after they sent the offers but they are on WL

49 minutes ago, MMI 2017 said:

Were you offered a spot or are you on the WL?

I am on the WL, and at least one verifier was checked - but having followed up on that (to try and give myself some peace of mind early on), I really don't think it means anything. 

Archived