Premed 101 Forums

Applying to grad school + MD

Hi,

Does anybody know if it's frowned upon to apply to grad school while applying to MD (at the same schools)? I want to apply for some direct entry PhD positions, while applying to medicine. My ultimate goal is to be an MD/PhD, but I'd rather skip the Masters. Just wondering if doing so will harm my application for either program.

I am concerned about McGill in particular. 

Thanks,

G

Absolutely not. It is very reasonable to have a plan B in case you don't get into medicine that year, and graduate schools know there are some students who are interested in eventually going into medicine. Some PIs will not want to take on a student who is not interested in a PhD, which doesn't seem to be your case. The two committees are separate and there should not be any cross talk on who the applicants are anyways

1 minute ago, Eudaimonia said:

Absolutely not. It is very reasonable to have a plan B in case you don't get into medicine that year, and graduate schools know there are some students who are interested in eventually going into medicine. Some PIs will not want to take on a student who is not interested in a PhD, which doesn't seem to be your case. The two committees are separate and there should not be any cross talk on who the applicants are anyways

Thank you so much for this reply! Really puts my mind at ease :)

Edit: So the applications aren't through the same system? I notice that for McGill, the application is through Minerva but for graduate programs, it is uApply?

Archived