Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
toofixerupper

Do most dental students come from affluent/well-off families?

I can assure you that not every one is form a privileged background my parents are immigrants and worked typical immigrant jobs lol, dont get me wrong we never starved or anything but we were never more then middle class. The vast majority of students take out loans, I don't care what kind of family you're from because they must really...really love you to pay 46k in tuition annually lol. 

you can get a 300k loan with no cosigner needed if you have an offer of admission from Canadian dental schools. No hard working graduate should have any trouble paying it back, especially because you can get a good rate (slightly below prime that goes into effect 1 year after graduation). Can't say the same about the states. 

My parents were also immagrants and I grew up in a community housing development. We ran into financial difficulties on numerous occasions and yes difficulties with basic essentials like food. It took a lot for me to percervere and try to get myself to keep pushing with education. And I hope to give back one day. Not everyone is blessed financially but keep pushing and failing forwards.

On 4/24/2018 at 12:11 PM, risaac said:

you can get a 300k loan with no cosigner needed if you have an offer of admission from Canadian dental schools. No hard working graduate should have any trouble paying it back, especially because you can get a good rate (slightly below prime that goes into effect 1 year after graduation). Can't say the same about the states. 

YOO where did you get a 300k loan? I can only find 250?

On 5/5/2018 at 9:49 AM, Zaandrei. said:

Someone needs to do more research^

Edit: Either that or different province... ^_^

Someone is a little supercilious...

Instead of being condescending, you could've decided to be helpful. Not typing out a response also takes 0 energy.

For the sake of your peers I hope you're not so patronizing in person.

On 5/4/2018 at 2:07 PM, DentalDayum said:

YOO where did you get a 300k loan? I can only find 250?

Asking any bank branch will lead to you not getting the best deal. I'm not sure where you intend on attending come fall, so I can't personally refer you to any specific individuals. Seeking out a Professional Business Advisor in any bank branch will resolve your issue - Scotia and RBC are the main ones pushing for the 300K prime-0.25 rate as of now. If you intend on going with anyone else, you can simply match that offer 

FYI, last year majority of my classmates got 275k prime-0.25. We have the option to bump the max to match what is currently being offered

19 minutes ago, DentalDayum said:

Someone is a little supercilious...

Instead of being condescending, you could've decided to be helpful. Not typing out a response also takes 0 energy.

For the sake of your peers I hope you're not so patronizing in person.

I simply stated that you ought to do more research; if you want to get mad that's okay.
After a 5 second google I have this wonderful link for you.

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/student-solution/medical-dental-professional/

16 hours ago, longhaul said:

Asking any bank branch will lead to you not getting the best deal. I'm not sure where you intend on attending come fall, so I can't personally refer you to any specific individuals. Seeking out a Professional Business Advisor in any bank branch will resolve your issue - Scotia and RBC are the main ones pushing for the 300K prime-0.25 rate as of now. If you intend on going with anyone else, you can simply match that offer 

FYI, last year majority of my classmates got 275k prime-0.25. We have the option to bump the max to match what is currently being offered

My RBC advisor told me that I could only get 250k so that's strange. Maybe different locations offer different maximums? Even though that seems silly because they're the same company. So weird.

They're simply not knowledgeable on what's available. See if you can find someone who deals specifically with student professional lines of credit or show them that website... that's going to get awkward. ^_^ My initial advisor had no idea as I found out along the way, so I worked with them to find what's available from them and the competition; worked out in the end, but I had to ask for it.

But at least make sure it's at prime-0.25% and take advantage of the credit card offers/other goodies they throw in for the sake of competition - that applies to any bank.

Sorry to take this thread off topic. But a general answer to the initial question is: no.... depending on your definition of 'well off'; because someone residing in Toronto won't be able to live off a family income of less than $60-70k while in Windsor... no problem - generally speaking.

On 4/23/2018 at 11:48 PM, Dentistry101 said:

Bruh, I'm a dental student but Im dirt POOR lol u should see my whip. Hope this answers your questions

haha atleast you're a dental student. I'm a poor Canadian college student living in the US paying a steep currency exchange fml lol

“The only time you look in your neighbor's bowl is to make sure that they have enough. You don't look in your neighbor's bowl to see if you have as much as them.”

Most dental students are taking out loans. A decent % probably have parents that are dentists. Don't worry too much about it.