Premed 101 Forums

Would an upward GPA trend make it worth applying to higher-end MD schools?

I am planning to apply to Canadian schools this upcoming cycle, but also am strongly considering doing the same for a few U.S. MD schools. 

My cGPA on its own isn't anything special, but I do have a very strong upward trend and I have seen that mentioned as a factor quite a bit on this board.

Year 1: 3.23
Year 2: 3.63
Year 3: 3.84
Year 4: 4.00
Year 5: 4.00 (most likely)

My MCAT is also a 517 (129/127/131/130)

I'm just wondering if the upward trend could make me decently competitive with some of the Canadian friendly MD schools with the higher MSAR requirements (ie Harvard, Stanford, Baylor, etc) - or would this just end up being a waste of my time and money?

3 hours ago, BalkanRelations said:

I am planning to apply to Canadian schools this upcoming cycle, but also am strongly considering doing the same for a few U.S. MD schools. 

My cGPA on its own isn't anything special, but I do have a very strong upward trend and I have seen that mentioned as a factor quite a bit on this board.

I'm just wondering if the upward trend could make me decently competitive with some of the Canadian friendly MD schools with the higher MSAR requirements (ie Harvard, Stanford, Baylor, etc) - or would this just end up being a waste of my time and money?

Those schools are difficult even for a cgpa 4.0. Apply if you want the chance, but still make sure to apply across the board.

4 hours ago, BalkanRelations said:

You never know if you don't try. The top schools can afford to be picky, they typically look at ECs more strongly because they get so many applicants with stellar academics and test scores. With that being said, you never know and this is your time to try. 

Sure, they will probably take your money, but its not ridiculously expensive. Trust me, there are way worse ways to spend your money. 

You're welcome to apply, but they will just take your money. The upward trend will mean that you might come out ahead of someone else who just averaged your average of 3.75 or whatever each year. It doesn't mean that you're going get in instead of the person who averaged 3.8 each year, or the 4.0s across the board who get into harvard, unless you have an amazing one in a thousand EC history.

Thanks a lot for the input guys!

I didn't include my EC's mostly because it is hard to fully list and describe them in such limited space haha. I'd like to think that I have some very extensive but also varied EC activities that make me a fairly outstanding applicant  - but I obviously understand just how impressive the applicant pool applying at these school will be, so I wouldn't toot my horn about them too much!

I'm mostly focused on Canadian schools and think I have an excellent shot at multiple this upcoming year, so the possibility of going to one of these top American schools is more of just a pipe dream slash icing on the cake.

Overall, I probably will apply to 3-6 or so and give it a shot - so hopefully it works out!

On 4/25/2018 at 3:05 PM, BalkanRelations said:

I didn't include my EC's mostly because it is hard to fully list and describe them in such limited space haha. I'd like to think that I have some very extensive but also varied EC activities that make me a fairly outstanding applicant  - but I obviously understand just how impressive the applicant pool applying at these school will be, so I wouldn't toot my horn about them too much!

I'm mostly focused on Canadian schools and think I have an excellent shot at multiple this upcoming year, so the possibility of going to one of these top American schools is more of just a pipe dream slash icing on the cake.

Overall, I probably will apply to 3-6 or so and give it a shot - so hopefully it works out!

Also remember that american schools REALLY care about clinical ECs and experience. but yeah, there's no recipe for success at a top 10/25.

On 4/25/2018 at 3:05 PM, BalkanRelations said:

Make sure you get your primary application in early as it is hard enough as a Canadian, later application can be a real death knell.

Archived