Premed 101 Forums

UWO schulich dentistry 2018 accepted/rejected/waitlist

1 hour ago, 4mbition said:

the early UofT offers resulted in some candidates cancelling their interviews at Schulich (i.e. the candidates that got UofT offers), meaning there is a stronger likelihood that there is less waitlist movement this year because there could be fewer candidates declining Schulich for UofT dental (since some of those accepted at UofT already cancelled their Schulich interview). 

hopefully the schulich administration factored that into consideration for their HWL...

Yeah the UofT thing is what I'm worried about :/ 

but like @Zaandrei. said, I doubt they would have factored that in :(

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, winner1 said:

I finally got the call from Western yesterday!!!!! I was on high waitlist!!! Ahhhhh!! I am so happy. 

Thats amazing! congrats! 

Just out of curiosity, did your waitlist letter have the HWL wording? If you dont mind me asking, what did your letter say? Just wanna get myself in check so I don't get my hopes too high lol. 

Thank you! Yes I did. Here you go: 

"Thank you for your interest in our program and the effort you have put forth with your application to the Doctor of Dental Surgery program at Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, Western University. Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offers not accepted will be filled by individuals on the Wait List.  Please understand that this does not guarantee that you will receive an offer. We are simply communicating this information to you in an attempt to allow you to be as informed as possible in making your decision about dental school.  In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have received an offer of admission."

On 5/28/2018 at 10:07 AM, winner1 said:

Is anyone living in the Jacksway Apartments? How far is it from Dental buildings? Is it a good place to live?

A bunch of dental students live there actually! I'd say it's about a 5-10 minute bus ride from the dental school. Single apartments are quite a rarity, as not many people let go of them. If you get an upgraded unit, they're quite nice actually and are within a minute walk from a large mall and commercial area.

11 hours ago, lemon_tree said:

I declined! Good luck guys :)!

In off the HWL as of this morning! might have been the spot lemon_tree declined--thank you!!!

very excited. this was my 2nd year applying as I didn't do so great in the interviews last year.

don't lose hope, and if this is what you want to do, don't give up!

so i'm guessing everyone paid the deposit, has anyone contacted admissions to confirm?
if that's the case, us HWL-ers don't have much hope left :/

this time last year, there was more movement after the deposit date, so i'm guessing either the people who were contacted and pulled off HWL after the deposit date didn't post about it and are still deciding (I think they get a few days)

or, all deposits are paid and class is full

38 minutes ago, winner1 said:

When do you start seeing patients? In 2nd year? 

At schulich, do you get to shadow upper years in the clinic in D1? 

1) I think 2nd year 2nd term you see your first patient (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

2) Yes you shadow/assist upper years in main clinic, pediatrics or Oral Surg from February to May in first year.

1 hour ago, Zaandrei. said:

^^

1) You don't get your own patients in 2nd year; unless they're changing it up... :)

2) that's right; a lot more in 2nd year

Thank you for your reply! Also have 3rd or 4th years experienced any problems regarding chairs ? And, do you need to find your own patients or do they get assigned? 

Yes. Large issues with booking appointments and availability of covering instructors... but we're doing fine still. Just transitioned over to a digital system and it's been rough, but a few weeks after the initial transition and things are already looking better.

The school provides patients - pretty standard I believe across most (if not all) universities.

11 hours ago, Incisor94 said:

1) I think 2nd year 2nd term you see your first patient (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

2) Yes you shadow/assist upper years in main clinic, pediatrics or Oral Surg from February to May in first year.

10 hours ago, Zaandrei. said:

^^

1) You don't get your own patients in 2nd year; unless they're changing it up... :)

2) that's right; a lot more in 2nd year

End of second year, you get 1 paeds case. I think that's what Incisor94 was referring to

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Easyteeth said:

Do we have any idea how many of us HWL are still out there in total?

My best guess is there is still about 8 of us still on the HWL. This is based on my estimate of the HWL being <20 this year due it not clearing and that about 10 people have gotten off the HWL based on the forums. I may be completely wrong as well but this is my estimation. 

Archived