Premed 101 Forums

My Chances? OOP

Hi,

I am a Ontario resident. What are my chances of getting an interview at Dal with the following stats?

cumulative gpa: 3.95

MCAT: total = 512 (C/P 130, CARS 125, B/B 127, P/S 130)

descent ECs: summer research no pubs, hospital volunteering, volunteering for non profit organization that works to improve healthcare in developing countries, tutoring children. working with autistic children, leader of couple clubs, shadowing)

no connection to the Maritimes but I speak to why I want to attend Dal

Thanks

Well you meet the OOP gpa and mcat cutoffs so as long as you meet the Casper cutoff then it really depends on what they think of your maritime connections essay and if you have a good enough reason for wanting to attend Dal. If you meet the academic/Casper minimums the only thing they base an interview off of for OOP is the maritimes essay. They don’t look at your gpa, mcat or supplemental/personal essay competitively until after the interview.

24 minutes ago, Saturn said:

Would the rest be Interview, ECs and essays? Also, what is a competitive GPA and MCAT for out of province?

Yeah the breakdown is on their site, double check that I remember the academic component correctly because it never seems to add up when I do it haha. 40% interview is for sure, and 5% unknown discretionary points. EC and essay are combined for 35% I think. They're very transparent about it

Your MCAT and GPA are pretty solid, this year the avg MCAT/GPA for a successful OOP applicant (successful meaning they interviewed and were accepted or waitlisted) was 514 and a 3.9. Dal rounds GPA to the nearest 0.1 so your grades are high enough to get an interview, and post interview you'd probably be about average. Since you've made the GPA/MCAT cutoff, as everyone else says it depends on your Maritime connection essay and if you make the CASPer cutoff. I think they get like 700 OOP applicants, and interview the top 50.

Archived