Premed 101 Forums

McGill Med 2018 Deferral Application

whitecoatcat

I am contemplating whether I should drop my MSc to start Fall 2018 MDCM or finish my MSc and defer... I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the deferral process? From what I understand if I were to choose to defer I'd have to submit a letter from myself as well as a letter from my supervisor? Info should include: progress, when I'm expected to finish, why I want to finish? Any input would be helpful. Thanks!
McGill website says:

For the purpose of finalizing the obtention of an advanced degree (request should be supported with details of the status of the academic program and a supervisor's letter detailing the progress and anticipated completion of the program). 

Procedure: Submit a written request to the Office of Admissions, including the relevant supporting documentation described above, no later than July 1st of the year in which deferral is sought.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 3:59 PM, eventuallyAF said:

I am contemplating whether I should drop my MSc to start Fall 2018 MDCM or finish my MSc and defer... I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the deferral process? From what I understand if I were to choose to defer I'd have to submit a letter from myself as well as a letter from my supervisor? Info should include: progress, when I'm expected to finish, why I want to finish? Any input would be helpful. Thanks!
McGill website says:

Yes, If you want to defer you will have to let them know of the expected date of completion of your degree with proof of that being a realistic possibility. For instance, they don't want you to say "I'll be done around February", when in reality you haven't even decided what your thesis topic will be. 

On 5/3/2018 at 5:02 PM, t0ny said:

Yes, If you want to defer you will have to let them know of the expected date of completion of your degree with proof of that being a realistic possibility. For instance, they don't want you to say "I'll be done around February", when in reality you haven't even decided what your thesis topic will be. 

Thanks for the reply- appreciate it. I went ahead and applied for a deferral, hoping it works out for me..and consequently someone on the waitlist. Win-win! Hang in there waitlist folks- there's hope!

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Laval_Med_2018 said:

Did you accepted the offer and then applied for deferral or before that? any idea about the laval MD if they give deferrals for an year?

A deferral request can only be made once the offer of admission has been accepted and the deposit paid.

Just checked the AFMC Admissions booklet and it says Laval doesn't authorize deferrals - maybe someone in the Laval forum can chime in.

Archived