Premed 101 Forums

McGill Residency

They really emphasize their willingness to take non-French speaking residents on the interview trail. It certainly has been done before, additionally, many of the Saudi residents do not speak French and do fine in most residencies. However, I believe family medicine is one of the programs that does either want or prefer French speaking abilities. 

Yeah I think it’s very program dependent. When I went through, their psychiatry program was recruiting me very heavily and telling me it was no big deal that I don’t speak two words of French. But I hear from more recent applicants that it’s different now and that they are no longer as interested in people who don’t. 

1 hour ago, Edict said:

They really emphasize their willingness to take non-French speaking residents on the interview trail. It certainly has been done before, additionally, many of the Saudi residents do not speak French and do fine in most residencies. However, I believe family medicine is one of the programs that does either want or prefer French speaking abilities. 

Why does McGill take so many Saudi residents? I thought it was insanely difficult for IMGs to get into residency in Canada?

11 minutes ago, MD_2021 said:

Why does McGill take so many Saudi residents? I thought it was insanely difficult for IMGs to get into residency in Canada?

The Saudi spots are different. They are funded directly by the Saudi government and not by us, and are associated with their own ROS. It’s it’s own non-CaRMS thing. 

Archived