Premed 101 Forums

Interesting Program Directors Take on CARMS

On 5/23/2018 at 9:20 PM, mavrik13 said:

Just wanted to add a point - what makes part of the process so difficult (from someone who has interviewed on a CaRMS panel, evaluating applicants and reviewing application packages) is that each school sends different information. Personally I recall comparing candidates from the same school with each other when schools would send a useful MSPR which 'grades' students, acknowledging there are issues with interpreting a single result, but if one candidate has 80% excellent rotation grades and another is 80% average rotation grades, it is a useful data point.

I personally don't think grading of MS1/2 exams is particularly relevant - does my knowledge of the Krebs cycle correlate with my current skills as a resident? I would say not...

yeah that is big problem too - some standardization would be more than welcome

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of curiosity, do programs filter out candidates before even reviewing files (e.g. filtering out candidates that have done electives, by letters of recommendation from known staff)? Is it done by an administrative staff? I can't imagine how they would be able to actually review all the applicants files properly within the given time frame.

23 hours ago, F508 said:

Out of curiosity, do programs filter out candidates before even reviewing files (e.g. filtering out candidates that have done electives, by letters of recommendation from known staff)? Is it done by an administrative staff? I can't imagine how they would be able to actually review all the applicants files properly within the given time frame.

When I was involved in CaRMS interviews, our admin staff pointed out to us which candidates had done local electives or had local letters of recommendation.

Yes for 1st iteration. Even if it’s split amongst multiple committee members, for large programs, there must be so many applicants! For family and internal medicine, they must have 50 reviewers? If not more? Do they filter out some applicants and don’t even look at their files?

Archived