Premed 101 Forums

What are some signs a panel interview went well?

anon5678

What are some signs a panel interview went well?

I know people tend to agree that you can't read too much into warm vs. cold panel or the length of the panel. When I think back to my panel, a lot of my answers were fairly short, like 1 - 2 mins, although I did go for the full hour. In hindsight, there's a lot more things I could've said in the moment to flesh out my answers or, if I had more time to think, I would've thought of a better response/anecdote. It also didn't feel very conversational. The panel seemed to just be sticking to questions from their grading booklets, but were friendly in their demeanor. Also, are people generally more nervous in panels vs. mmi? I didn't feel much more nervous internally than mmi, but I could see how some might find the panel intimidating. I might have appeared nervous at some points due to stumbling over my own words and minor faux pas. 

Like with the mmi, it’s really difficult to tell as some interviewers may be purposely told to not react and keep a straight face.

However, if you do have responsive interviewers, then it’s a good sign if you see them smiling and looking engaged when you talk.

The vibe of the room would be light and comfortable. They may nod in agreement to what you say and give you positive comments/feedback. They will have eye contact with you throughout. If you had a bit of humor, then the interviewers will chuckle with you too.

You’ll leave the room smiling and feeling confident.

During my panel interview, I was lucky to have some very responsive interviewers. I personally felt more comfortable doing the panel because I find it more natural to talk about myself than some random scenario. It’s really a great opportunity for your personality to shine through and standout amongst other applicants. 

If I had stone-faced interviewers then I would have no idea how I did. 

Nonetheless, in either case, remember to walk in and out of the room confidently and with a big, genuine smile :). 

On 4/29/2018 at 2:46 PM, Butterfly_ said:

Like with the mmi, it’s really difficult to tell as some interviewers may be purposely told to not react and keep a straight face.

However, if you do have responsive interviewers, then it’s a good sign if you see them smiling and looking engaged when you talk.

The vibe of the room would be light and comfortable. They may nod in agreement to what you say and give you positive comments/feedback. They will have eye contact with you throughout. If you had a bit of humor, then the interviewers will chuckle with you too.

You’ll leave the room smiling and feeling confident.

During my panel interview, I was lucky to have some very responsive interviewers. I personally felt more comfortable doing the panel because I find it more natural to talk about myself than some random scenario. It’s really a great opportunity for your personality to shine through and standout amongst other applicants. 

If I had stone-faced interviewers then I would have no idea how I did. 

Nonetheless, in either case, remember to walk in and out of the room confidently and with a big, genuine smile :). 

I agree with Butterfly_. I also noticed that if you said something that the interviewers find interesting, they usually followed up on it deviating from the list of the questions that they had to ask you. One of my interviewers had to write down information about a specific experience that I did because she told me she  found it interesting and she wanted to do it herself.  

Some interviewers would compliment your response telling you that you did an excellent job or it was a great answer ..etc. 

However, I also had interviewers who did not say anything at all and I could not tell from their body language how they felt about my answers. 

Archived