Premed 101 Forums

2017/2018 waitlist thread

Anyone have any idea the probability of getting off or the size of the WL? All I can find is data from CMES (Canadian Medical Education Stats) that suggests the WL moves about 50-60 spots. Also does anyone know if UofA rolls the offers out 1-by-1 as people decline, or does it happen in waves at preset dates (eg. the first date being the deadline for initial offers on may 25th)?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The U of A does not generally release stats/data about the size of their waitlist, your spot on the waitlist, or how likely you are to get off the waitlist. 

An initial wave will go out approximately a week after the initial acceptance deadline, another wave will go out a week after the second round offer deadline, and so on until all offers have been made and the class is full. At this point you'll get an email saying as such and that it's unlikely that any other offers will be made. 

So the answer to your question is both, waves at first and then 1-by-1 until the class is full. 

Hope that helps. 

On 5/3/2018 at 12:19 AM, srumihs said:

Probably a stupid question, but how do you know if you've been waitlisted? I'd like to see how it differs from the regular rejection. 

You either get accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. If you go to application website under documents you can download your letter and see what the result is. 

In the previous years, the U of A waitlist movement depended on whether you were a 4th year applicant or 2nd/3rd year applicant and your provincial status. However, this year they only interviewed applicants who are anticipating the completion of their degrees so I think there might be overall more movement.

On 4/29/2018 at 9:58 PM, anon5678 said:

Anyone have any idea the probability of getting off or the size of the WL? All I can find is data from CMES (Canadian Medical Education Stats) that suggests the WL moves about 50-60 spots. Also does anyone know if UofA rolls the offers out 1-by-1 as people decline, or does it happen in waves at preset dates (eg. the first date being the deadline for initial offers on may 25th)?

From where did you get the information that the WL moves by 50-60 spots. That means that we have ~50% chance of getting off the WL.  Right?

Does the WL usually move before the May 25th deadline?

31 minutes ago, WaitlistedOhEmGee said:

Hey everyone, I just noticed that when you open your waitlist offer letter, the file name has numbers. What numbers do you guys have? I think the first number may be your place on the waitlist and the second number how many people were waitlisted. Alternatively, the numbers may mean nothing

Where are these numbers? 

Archived