Premed 101 Forums

Hello,

I know there might have been similar posts before but I am feeling overwhelmed at the moment and I don’t know anyone I could talk to about this. So I am just going to spit it out - has anyone got a CGPA between 2.3-2.8 in their first science related undergraduate degree, followed by a year of full time studies which they aced in and received a conditional acceptance to medical school? If there’s anyone I would truly like to hear your journey and if it’s too personal then email me maybe? 

Do u have a 3.7 in at least one year that meets western's rules? If So, 1 extra year will be enough to apply to uwo via conditional acceptance. You will need to meet their mcat minima. Assuming ur non swomen, that's a 129 cars minimum, 128 bio minimum and a 126 chem phys minimum. These minima can change yearly. That's about your only option in Canada. You might as well do a second undergrad to open more doors.

Try to address the factors that led to your poor academic performance (financial, mental health, motivational etc). If you can't resolve those issues given your current circumstances or resources, there's no point in rushing back to school just yet. Take some to accept your shortcomings or limitations, reach out for help if necessary, and when you're ready, be prepared to work your tail off. Good luck! 

There is no Canadian Med school that would give an interview based on a single successful GPA year.  After 2 completed years with good GPA some schools with weighted GPA process can come into play.   You would then still need to be competitive against your peers in other factors.

•  
    2 hours ago, Meridian said:

There is no Canadian Med school that would give an interview based on a single successful GPA year.  After 2 completed years with good GPA some schools with weighted GPA process can come into play.   You would then still need to be competitive against your peers in other factors.

•  
  • FYI, from Western's admissions page:
  • I am still in school but only have one year which meets the minimum GPA. Am I still eligible to apply?

If you have one undergraduate year which meets the minimum GPA and are currently enrolled in full-time studies, you are eligible to apply. If you were to receive an offer of admission, it would be conditional on meeting the minimum GPA in your current year of study (with 5 full course equivalents at the requisite levels).

51 minutes ago, jr2 said:

Thanks for your input jr2! and yes that's what has me wondering - if there's anyone who actually got a conditional based on just one good year.

Also, to answer your question I don't have any full time years, but I am willing to do another undergraduate degree. Preferably just 2 years :)

Western is very specific.   

You can take a special fifth year to boost your GPA. 

If you do not already have a 3.7 GPA in one of year 1, 2, 3, 4,  the fifth year will not help you.

If you start a 2nd undergrad,  you must wait until the final year of the 2nd undergrad to apply.

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/medicine/undergraduate/future_students/faq.html

Does Schulich Medicine allow applicants to take additional undergraduate years after they have graduated to improve their academic standing?
Applicants who have earned a degree from a recognized North American university, may elect to continue in full-time undergraduate studies (a so-called special year) so that their academic standing may be improved for application to medical school. Applicants must already have one undergraduate year that meets the GPA cutoff, and only the first special year taken by the applicant will be considered for determination of GPA. A special year will only be considered if it contains five full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) taken between September and April.  First-year courses, repeat/antirequisite courses, second-year courses that do not require a first-year prerequisite, and pass/fail courses are not acceptable in the special year.

I am still in school but only have one year which meets the minimum GPA. Am I still eligible to apply?
If you have one undergraduate year which meets the minimum GPA and are currently enrolled in full-time studies, you are eligible to apply. If you were to receive an offer of admission, it would be conditional on meeting the minimum GPA in your current year of study (with 5 full course equivalents at the requisite levels).

What if I already have an undergraduate degree but am working towards or have recently completed a second undergraduate degree?
Applicants who embark on a second undergraduate degree program are eligible to apply during the final year of their new program. In order to be considered for GPA purposes, the second degree must be equivalent to a four-year degree. In this situation, GPA consideration will be based only on the two best years of the second degree program. Course load and course level requirements for the second degree are analogous to the requirements of the first degree. Applicants who are given a conditional offer must complete all program requirements for the second degree by June 30th.

1 hour ago, Meridian said:

What if I already have an undergraduate degree but am working towards or have recently completed a second undergraduate degree?

Applicants who embark on a second undergraduate degree program are eligible to apply during the final year of their new program. In order to be considered for GPA purposes, the second degree must be equivalent to a four-year degree. In this situation, GPA consideration will be based only on the two best years of the second degree program. Course load and course level requirements for the second degree are analogous to the requirements of the first degree. Applicants who are given a conditional offer must complete all program requirements for the second degree by June 30th.

Hey Meridian thanks for getting back to me. But what if your second undergraduate degree was for only 2 years (due to transfer credits), fulfills the 3/5 rule and full-time in both years? Then can you apply after your first year, get a conditional offer while you are completing your second and final year?

I mean in theory it sounds just about right but I mean what are the chances it happened/happens?

15 hours ago, Hanginginthere01 said:

Hey Meridian thanks for getting back to me. But what if your second undergraduate degree was for only 2 years (due to transfer credits), fulfills the 3/5 rule and full-time in both years? Then can you apply after your first year, get a conditional offer while you are completing your second and final year?

I mean in theory it sounds just about right but I mean what are the chances it happened/happens?

You may be trying to grasp at something too quickly.  As you will read on here many times, Med school acceptance is a marathon not a sprint.

You are reading the above right with some caveats.

• Knocking off a 2nd 4 year degree (as required by UWO) in 2 years may not be realistic.  Getting the prerequisites in place in the first year to then do all the required year 3/4 courses could be pretty complex if not impossible. Guess it depends on the school/degree.
  • Note that 3.7 GPA is also just a lower cutoff.  It is not competitive to earn an interview. 
  • Recognize that UWO CARS cut off is very difficult to achieve (unless you are from swomen - are you ?).   

Pinning all your hopes on UWO makes no sense if you are going to invest in multiple years of a 2nd undergrad.   If medicine is the only focus, start the 2nd undergrad with intent to apply to as many schools as you can unlock. You really need to aim at +3.9 GPA.  If your GPA is there,  also work on strengthening your ECs and Canmed skills.   Re-evaluate where you are after end of 1st year.

Hey does anybody have advice on what I should do? I want to do a major in life science at McMaster as like premed but I’m not sure if I can do it. My sister didn’t make it into med school and my whole family isn’t supporting me in wanting to go. If I see that I can’t get at least a 3.6 gpa in life science first and second year and that my mcat score will be too low should I just go into an accelerated nursing program and later on become a np? Cause I want to have a backup plan if I can’t make it into med school or pa school and I know I won’t be able to do anything with a degree in life science. I would do a four year nursing degree but nursing is super hard and I def wouldn’t get a high enough gpa to get into med school. I really know that I want to go to med school so bad and being a nurse wouldn’t cut it for me. What major should I do that in ur opinion would be easier to get a high gpa in ? Kin life science or nutrition even I don’t know 

Archived