Premed 101 Forums

Ontarian Can't Apply?

1 hour ago, Rabeprazole said:

Bonjour,

I wanted to confirm what I heard that students from Ontario couldn't apply to Sherbrooke, Montreal, and Laval. Would I only be able to apply to McGill in Quebec?

Merci!

Laval: There is a possibility of 1 position available for an applicant of foreign nationality who holds a study permit and 1 potential position for an applicant from another Canadian province or territory. Sometimes these leave the international spot unfilled so they end up taking two OOP Canadians. 

Sherbrooke: There's 1 position for residents of Western Canada and 1 for foreign applicants holding a student visa. Again, sometimes these leave the international spot unfilled so they end up taking two OOP Canadians (from Western Canada). 

UdeM: There are 2 positions for visa students and 1 position for French-speaking applicants from outside Québec (cannot be from NB as NB has a separate intergov't agreements).

McGill: 10 OOP spots per year (no preference or specification)

TL;DR: Being from Ontario, you can apply to Laval, UdeM and McGill. Obviously, you need to be able to interview in French for Laval/UdeM.

6 minutes ago, la marzocco said:

Laval: There is a possibility of 1 position available for an applicant of foreign nationality who holds a study permit and 1 potential position for an applicant from another Canadian province or territory. Sometimes these leave the international spot unfilled so they end up taking two OOP Canadians. 

Sherbrooke: There's 1 position for residents of Western Canada and 1 for foreign applicants holding a student visa. Again, sometimes these leave the international spot unfilled so they end up taking two OOP Canadians (from Western Canada). 

UdeM: There are 2 positions for visa students and 1 position for French-speaking applicants from outside Québec (cannot be from NB as NB has a separate intergov't agreements).

McGill: 10 OOP spots per year (no preference or specification)

TL;DR: Being from Ontario, you can apply to Laval, UdeM and McGill. Obviously, you need to be able to interview in French for Laval/UdeM.

The Western Canada spot at Sherbrooke often goes to Ontario applicants.

5 minutes ago, marrakech said:

The Western Canada spot at Sherbrooke often goes to Ontario applicants.

Interesting, I heard somewhere that this year the two OOP from sherby were from BC/Alta. I could be wrong.

EDIT: Just found this: "These 199 positions will be roughly allocated as follows: 171 for residents of Québec, 24 for residents of Atlantic Canada, 1 for residents of Western Canada, 1 for foreign applicants holding a student visa (this year, it's a supplemental candidat from Western Canada)."

1 minute ago, la marzocco said:

Interesting, I heard somewhere that this year the two OOP from sherby were from BC/Alta. I could be wrong.

EDIT: Just found this: "These 199 positions will be roughly allocated as follows: 171 for residents of Québec, 24 for residents of Atlantic Canada, 1 for residents of Western Canada, 1 for foreign applicants holding a student visa (this year, it's a supplemental candidat from Western Canada)."

It's confusing since ON falls into "Western Canada".  But I do know a couple of the ON matriculants.  Most of the Atlantic Canada spots are NB.  

Thank you @la marzocco and @marrakech! While I can say basic sentences in French, I doubt that I could have a full interview where I would be able to fully express what I wanted to say.

In a completely unrelated note, how responsive is McGill with emails? I had a question about prerequisites in my specific school and I was wondering if it was better to call or email them.

8 minutes ago, Rabeprazole said:

In a completely unrelated note, how responsive is McGill with emails? I had a question about prerequisites in my specific school and I was wondering if it was better to call or email them.

They will definitely respond to emails, and I would go the email route if it's a question about course eligibility, since they may not be able to answer on the spot during a phone call (if they're willing to look into specifics) 

8 minutes ago, Rabeprazole said:

Thank you @la marzocco and @marrakech! While I can say basic sentences in French, I doubt that I could have a full interview where I would be able to fully express what I wanted to say.

I would suggest you email - that way any answer you receive will be in written form and squarely documented.

10 hours ago, Rabeprazole said:

It really depends on the time of year you contact them. In Jan-May they are definitely unresponsive! But I exchanged a lot of emails with them in Aug-Sept and they were very prompt in replying.

Archived