Premed 101 Forums

Housing for 4 months in Vancouver before going to other site

I know this is nine days premature (GAH!), but I was just wondering; assuming you are placed at a site other than Vancouver, I know the whole class still does the first semester together in Vancouver.

Does anyone know how housing would work for that first semester in Van? It seems crazy to think you could find a place for 4 months.

Thanks!

Rental leases that are month to month, or even any fixed term less than a year, are indeed really hard to find around ubc, but there are some kicking around. Unfortunately in the ubc area, all of the bargaining power is with the landlord since there’s an absolute abundance of potential renters. I know of some med folks who sweet-talked a 4-month lease, and others who signed a one-year lease and sublet the remaining 8 months. In the latter case, the landlord was completely on board from the beginning for allowing an early sub-lease. It’s difficult, but doable.

Hahah also, aren’t we ten days away from decisions? Feels like eternity nevertheless!! 

Hey, there is a limited number of places for students at the distributed sites. From the UBC website:

Short-Term Campus Residence in Vancouver for year 1 students admitted to the Island, Northern, and Southern Medical Programs (IMP, NMP, and SMP)

All Year 1 students in the MD Undergraduate Program will spend the fall term in Vancouver.

For 2018-19, in partnership with Student Affairs and the MD Undergraduate Program, Student Housing and Hospitality Services has set aside a maximum of 20spaces in Fairview Crescent residence for students who have accepted an offer of admission to the Island, Northern, or Southern Medical Program.  These 20 students will be placed on a Priority Access Placement List (PAPL).

The type of residence offered to the students on the PAPL is classified as a “single” student accommodation – a private bedroom in a four- or six-bedroom suite.

Student Housing and Hospitality Services will aim to place together students on the PAPL in Fairview Crescent (in a Single Room SmallSingle Room MediumSingle Room Medium Large, or Single Room Large), as room vacancies become available.

link: http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/student-resources/housing/

Current UBC student here. The 20 spaces are very limited so you need to apply early for it. Theres over 90 distributees for 20 spots! Otherwise, most people manage to find a 4 month sublet at ubc as a lot of UBC undergrads will leave for co-op terms. 

It is hell. I managed to get one of the 20 spots on campus and had to sleep with earplugs in almost the whole semester because of randomly people screaming in the middle of the night in the parking lot behind Fairview. We also had black mold and plumbing issues. A friend paid $1600 a month for a bachelor suite because it was the only thing they could find for 4 months. Another friend lived in their car for a month because they couldn't find a place until September 15th. 

I personally see no benefit to making everyone start in Vancouver (I really don't understand the rational) and it's incredibly stressful then needing to move during the 2 week winter break, especially for people assigned to Prince George or Kelowna where weather can making moving difficult or dangerous. I think UBC needs to reevaluate why they put the distributed students through this experience. 

31 minutes ago, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

It is hell. I managed to get one of the 20 spots on campus and had to sleep with earplugs in almost the whole semester because of randomly people screaming in the middle of the night in the parking lot behind Fairview. We also had black mold and plumbing issues. A friend paid $1600 a month for a bachelor suite because it was the only thing they could find for 4 months. Another friend lived in their car for a month because they couldn't find a place until September 15th. 

I personally see no benefit to making everyone start in Vancouver (I really don't understand the rational) and it's incredibly stressful then needing to move during the 2 week winter break, especially for people assigned to Prince George or Kelowna where weather can making moving difficult or dangerous. I think UBC needs to reevaluate why they put the distributed students through this experience. 

Oh well that sounds amazing...considering I’m a light sleeper too. GREAAAAT. 

And yeah, I figured trying to find housing at one site would be stressful enough, let alone in Vancouver for 4 months...

11 hours ago, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

Oh man that's terrible. Can't believe the university isn't more supportive - sleeping in a car can not be an acceptable option!

On 5/3/2018 at 9:14 PM, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

I highly recommend telling senior program advisors how you feel if you haven't already.

On 5/3/2018 at 9:14 PM, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

Maybe you dont see benefit, but i think most people do, so that they can make friend with their colleagues at the different distributed sites. 

4 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Maybe you dont see benefit, but i think most people do, so that they can make friend with their colleagues at the different distributed sites. 

I’ve talked about it pretty extensively with the IMP and many people at NMP. Most I’ve talked to are in agreement with me and we’re planning to write a group letter to the administration. 

Although I’ve heard the 4 months in Vancouver are for class bonding, my experience was that most other people had little interest in investing the time to get to know people from other sites. And with the couple people I did get to know, it’s hard to put in the work to maintain friendships with people you might never see again except at graduation, especially when you didn’t know them that well to begin with.

2 hours ago, FlameGrilledChicken said:

I think 1st year is mostly at UBC and then 2nd year is mostly at VGH

Yup. The standard schedule for 1st year is CBL, lecture and labs M/W/F at UBC, and then clinical experiences on T/Th at VGH, UBC or clinics or teaching units somewhere across the lower mainland.

2nd year is mostly at CBL and lectures at VGH M/W/F with clinical experiences on W/F afternoons. But you still have to go to UBC for labs and some other things, primarily on T/Th.

Archived