Premed 101 Forums

Not at this point you cannot. Western will be undergoing a curriculum change for the class of 2023, which MAY offer opportunities for a Master's but that will require taking a year off to meet the requirements. I highly doubt a concurrent Master's can be pursued. 

On 5/8/2018 at 8:23 AM, Aceso said:

Not at this point you cannot. Western will be undergoing a curriculum change for the class of 2023, which MAY offer opportunities for a Master's but that will require taking a year off to meet the requirements. I highly doubt a concurrent Master's can be pursued. 

Concurrently it is a challenge - part of the model as you rightly point out is that there is limited flexibility at any school with people missing years/activities and in turn doubling up on a future year. Particular with the enrollment numbers at record highs etc. 

I have seen it done at Schulich - but it has required using a year between med school and residency, although they started the work well before that. Of course there is a phd program which in some rare case you can join after things have started. 

One question I would ask is not how you want to do something, but rather what you are trying to do? For instance it is often better to wait until residency to do a masters/phd - it would be in your field for sure then, better funded, and often has solid networking opportunities. There are a bunch of options :)

Archived