Premed 101 Forums

When Can I Apply?

I think there are a few schools that would let you apply without rescinding an offer if you didn't finish your graduate degree. The U of C lets you do it if your supervisor (or perhaps department in your case) is aware of your intentions; the U of A doesn't care; and I don't know about the rest. Check out the thread on grad student policies in the nontrad forum; maybe it's discussed there

I was thinking of UoT earlier but can't seem to find that policy on their site anymore so you should double check.

But from Queens site:

1. Applicants applying through the graduate stream must have completed their graduate degree by the August 1 prior to the commencement of medical school

You can also apply to Western:

Applicants who are enrolled in a course-based master's at the time of application must have completed all requirements by August 15th

Ottawa doesn't care so you can apply. McMaster also doesn't seem to care they just want a letter from your supervisor or department saying they're aware that you're applying. 

So you can definitely apply to schools this cycle!

1 hour ago, Eudaimonia said:

I was thinking of UoT earlier but can't seem to find that policy on their site anymore so you should double check.

But from Queens site:

1. Applicants applying through the graduate stream must have completed their graduate degree by the August 1 prior to the commencement of medical school

You can also apply to Western:

Applicants who are enrolled in a course-based master's at the time of application must have completed all requirements by August 15th

Ottawa doesn't care so you can apply. McMaster also doesn't seem to care they just want a letter from your supervisor or department saying they're aware that you're applying. 

So you can definitely apply to schools this cycle!

Am I missing something, or did you not notice that it's a 16 month program? OP wouldn't be free until December the year after admission, so Western and Queen's (and I'm sure Toronto as well, though it's worth contacting them to see if the policy isn't on their webpage) are out. That would leave Ottawa and McMaster in Ontario.

17 minutes ago, insomnias said:

Am I missing something, or did you not notice that it's a 16 month program? OP wouldn't be free until December the year after admission, so Western and Queen's (and I'm sure Toronto as well, though it's worth contacting them to see if the policy isn't on their webpage) are out. That would leave Ottawa and McMaster in Ontario.

Wow I totally missed the calculation. Saw 16 but I thought the school year September to May was 12 months omg. You're right, that only leaves school that don't care if you don't finish your program. Sorry for the confusion OP!

Archived