Premed 101 Forums

Which schools consider Canadians as Out-of-state v.s. International?

On MSAR, there are separate data for Out-of-state v.s. International students. I was wondering which schools considered Canadians as OOS v.s. International. I can't find this information on a lot of their websites and the only site I found for this is the BEMO one which I'm not sure if I can trust its accuracy.

https://bemoacademicconsulting.com/canadian-friendly-usa-med-schools

You can generally tell by looking at the demographics of where students came from. Like if it says 5 internationals accepted and the only countries shown are Canada and the US, you know Canadians are considered internationals. 

I'd recommend calling the schools you are interested in. They'll have staff dedicated to answering these kinds of questions. 

I think on MSAR there is an option for just showing schools that accept Canadians and an an additional one for international students. A lot easier then in other years, the list you linked to seems to be pretty accurate from what I can tell. 

On 5/14/2018 at 11:24 AM, Serendi said:

I guess Canadians should fare at least a bit better at those schools that supposedly consider Canadians on par as OOS Americans... I'm skeptical to how much this is, really, since none of them showed love to me :(

There are some weird ones though... take SUNY Upstate for instance.. they love their Canadians more than they love OOS Americans. Bizarre, but it's very obviously the case.

11 minutes ago, bearpuppy said:

There are some weird ones though... take SUNY Upstate for instance.. they love their Canadians more than they love OOS Americans. Bizarre, but it's very obviously the case.

You're right! Take note, other SUNYs (i'm looking at you Buffalo and Downstate) 

Kentucky, too. Although they're off the MSAR's 'accept Canadians' section this year

Archived