Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Support Thread - 2018

Hello my fella good waitlisters, let’s hang out here and support each other in this long waiting game. 

My GPA is on the low end (3.92) so hopefully some magic happens here. It would be great if we all posted our GPAs once waitlist offers start rolling in to help each other get a sense of where the waitlist is!

Also I have a question, when does Ottawa start the first round of waitlist offers? 

I asked on the other thread, and those who were accepted have to make a decision by May 22nd. We'll hear back soon after that I think! 

My GPA is the same as yours, and I'm also keeping my fingers crossed. I'm a relatively older applicant, and I really hope I can make it this year.

18 minutes ago, feelinglucky said:

I asked on the other thread, and those who were accepted have to make a decision by May 22nd. We'll hear back soon after that I think! 

My GPA is the same as yours, and I'm also keeping my fingers crossed. I'm a relatively older applicant, and I really hope I can make it this year.

Older applicant here as well, same feeling :(

27 minutes ago, feelinglucky said:

I'm a relatively older applicant too! Hoping to get good news soon :(

34 minutes ago, Graduate08 said:

I was bad-waitlisted. I am guessing that I have no chance at all now? Out of curiosity, has anyone on the bad-waitlist ever received an acceptance?

I read somewhere on this forum that there were indeed some people who got off the bad waitlist, which could be one of the potential reasons why they had a giant waitlist system last year. Not sure if this information is reliable and accurate though.

I've been on the waitlist in 2016, 2017 and this year. In 2015, 2014 and 2013 it didn't move to the bad waitlist. Based on how the waitlist moves we believe we are placed into different interview score groups (4, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5, 2.0 etc...). Those in the 4.0 group get in right away, and those in the 3.5 group with higher GPAs (3.99-4.0) are also accepted, and then come May 22 you will slowly start to see the waitlist move from people with 3.98 getting accepted down to like 3.9. This will be the end of the 3.5 interview group, and it will move on to the 3.0 interview group. So next you will see people with 4.0 and 3.99 getting accepted off the waitlist.

Now we don't know this for sure, some people believe that our interview scores are averaged so we could have groups like (4.0, 3.66, 3.5 etc..). Whatever it may be, it moves into the third grouping and stays there.

With that being said, it looks like there were a lot more lower GPAs that were interviewed this year, so perhaps those with the mid 3.9 GPAs in the 3.0 interview group could have a shot at getting accepted in late June or early July (I'm hoping so at least).

My friend was also bad-waitlisted for MD... but she was good waitlisted (i dont think they have a bad waitlist for the dual degree) for Ottawa's MD/PhD program... looks like bad waitlist is basically a rejection...shes wondering: is there ever a case where someone backed out from MD/PhD (receive acceptances earlier)  last minute, after finding out they got accepted for MD (in any ontario school) on D-Day?

33 minutes ago, Arthur said:

Does anyone know how much the english stream waitlist moves by? I am good waitlisted and have a wGPA of 3.965

View the following statistics for waitlist movement: https://www.afmc.ca/publications/canadian-medical-education-statistics-cmes

screenshot of the statistics is also below. Although it's stats for both streams, the majority are from English.

Screenshot_20180505-105143.jpg

I hope the waitlist goes well for you guys! You guys have worked so hard and even if this is not the year, do not give up!! Idk if this helps many people, but I know 6 people either accepted or good waitlist who are turning down the offer :) So movements will happen!

29 minutes ago, Vendar said:

I hope the waitlist goes well for you guys! You guys have worked so hard and even if this is not the year, do not give up!! Idk if this helps many people, but I know 6 people either accepted or good waitlist who are turning down the offer :) So movements will happen!

From which stream? :O

anyone knows how much the waitlist moves in the french stream ? i have a really bad gpa 3.82 but i got into the waitlist, the problem is i have no clue where my rank is, since i feel i did good in my interview. i know the right thing to do right now is take this as a rejection, but i would be really gratefull to know how many people got into the ''good waitlist'' and amongst those how many get an invite.

56 minutes ago, karl heider said:

anyone knows how much the waitlist moves in the french stream ? i have a really bad gpa 3.82 but i got into the waitlist, the problem is i have no clue where my rank is, since i feel i did good in my interview. i know the right thing to do right now is take this as a rejection, but i would be really gratefull to know how many people got into the ''good waitlist'' and amongst those how many get an invite.

Regular French or CNFS? I believe the regular French moves slightly, but CFNS moves maybe 2-3 spots from my understanding. However maybe this year things will be different! Don't lose hope yet!

2 minutes ago, LUUO said:

Regular French or CNFS? I believe the regular French moves slightly, but CFNS moves maybe 2-3 spots from my understanding. However maybe this year things will be different! Don't lose hope yet!

regular french, someone told me 1/3 of french acceptances are waitlist acceptance

1 hour ago, friedchickendudeMD said:

It is prolly close to 90 to 100. I think this because many people in high waitlist may choose other school which may not be captured on AFMC stats!

Any clue how the waitlist rankings work? I.e. something like: Good waitlist is applicant #117-200, Bad Waitlist is applicant #201-450? Any idea? (I realize the ranks will consistently change depending on people's choices of other schools).

2 hours ago, Graduate08 said:

Any clue how the waitlist rankings work? I.e. something like: Good waitlist is applicant #117-200, Bad Waitlist is applicant #201-450? Any idea? (I realize the ranks will consistently change depending on people's choices of other schools).

what i have been told is, if historically, 10 peeople get off the waitlist then good waitlisters are ranked in the top 10. but i have no clue how many got the good waitlist in french or in english so it's hard to mesure up