Premed 101 Forums

4 minutes ago, karl heider said:

well the waiting is definitely horrible. but what I really can't seem to understand is why the lack of transparency? Wouldn't it be far more considerate and human to give everyone his ranking? the list is already made. if someone is ranked number 5 in the waitlist lets say he can plan his summer accordingly while knowing when and when not to wait for the waitlist to move. it's really inconsiderate to how much this matters to us and how strong of a grip it has on our future plans etc. 

You mean the archaic system of calling each individual person instead of sending automated emails to the next set of people on the waiting list doesn’t float your boat?  

Just now, Monocyte said:

You mean the system of calling each individual person instead of sending automated emails to the next set of people on the waiting list doesn’t float your boat?  

not the act of calling people, I don't mind that. I don't even mind not being called at all, but what makes me feel not so good about all of this, is there is absolutely no way for me to know if I'am ranked number 1 or number 15 (assuming the good waitlist in the french stream has 15 spots, and as you know the faculty is so transparent it's impossible to know). if I knew my ranking I would plan my life accordingly. of course, it's a gamble since waitlist nothing is assured, but at least I would like to have control over my gambles, whether I want to write the mcat, take summer courses, or just go see my family that i have not seen in 4 years . the lack of information is really injustified in my mind

4 hours ago, karl heider said:

well the waiting is definitely horrible. but what I really can't seem to understand is why the lack of transparency? Wouldn't it be far more considerate and human to give everyone his ranking? the list is already made. if someone is ranked number 5 in the waitlist lets say he can plan his summer accordingly while knowing when and when not to wait for the waitlist to move. it's really inconsiderate to how much this matters to us and how strong of a grip it has on our future plans etc. 

To answer this question, I’ve heard (not sure how factual it is but we’ve all seen crazier things happen) a few reasons why many schools opt against giving actual ranking based on incidents that have occurred 

1. There have apparently been reports of suicide in individuals who know that they are 1, or even 2 spots away from being accepted, and never end up getting off the waitlist. 

2. If you know the person who is 1 rank above you, some people go to great lengths to get them removed from the list. 

Very very very sad if true, and that the pressure associated with ‘getting in’ can have such drastic effects on mental health. I’d rather have a more ambiguous system if it means reducing what I mentioned. Everyone handles stress differently. For me at least, these past 2 weeks have been incredibly emotionally draining. I’m trying to remain optimistic (not necessarily about getting accepted, but about trying to remember that I can always try again), slowly getting better though, especially with the beautiful weather! 

Received an email from Chantal at 1:46pm! I’m currently traveling out of the country so I will be calling her tonight. 

This really made my day! The waitlist is definitely moving so hold tight to those who are waiting :) hope to see you all in class! 

My weighted gpa is 3.98.

6 minutes ago, Dendritic cell said:

Received an email from Chantal at 1:46pm! I’m currently traveling out of the country so I will be calling her tonight. 

This really made my day! The waitlist is definitely moving so hold tight to those who are waiting :) hope to see you all in class! 

My weighted gpa is 3.98.

Congrats :)

Just a heads up for those on the French stream waitlist, the calls have in fact started. I know that someone got called yesterday (May 23rd).  Maybe the first round is done for the French stream?    :( 

8 minutes ago, MDwishing said:

Just a heads up for those on the French stream waitlist, the calls have in fact started. I know that someone got called yesterday (May 23rd).  Maybe the first round is done for the French stream?    :( 

are you on the regular french good waitlist ? and do you know the wgpa of the person who got a call yesterday ? 

5 minutes ago, karl heider said:

are you on the regular french good waitlist ? and do you know the wgpa of the person who got a call yesterday ? 

I’m on the regular french stream waitlist and it was quite high, but I’m not sure of the specific wgpa.

10 hours ago, MDwishing said:

I'm not sure about this, but I don't think they go by streams when they make the calls. When asked at the presentation, Chantal said that they start at the top of the waitlist and go down. Since it's one big waitlist, the streams are all mixed up, so they keep going down until they fill out all the spots. I don't think they're done with any stream yet. I'm just trying to stay positive lol

1 hour ago, Maggie19 said:

I'm not sure about this, but I don't think they go by streams when they make the calls. When asked at the presentation, Chantal said that they start at the top of the waitlist and go down. Since it's one big waitlist, the streams are all mixed up, so they keep going down until they fill out all the spots. I don't think they're done with any stream yet. I'm just trying to stay positive lol

Oh that’s quite possible! Who knows really :) Thanks Maggie 19, I’ll try and do the same haha 

Accepted off the waitlist for English! wGPA 3.94. Good waitlist time stamp was 7:45 AM. Received Chantal's email today at 11:15.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting, I'm rooting for you!

1 minute ago, Executive-D said:

Accepted off the waitlist for English! wGPA 3.94. Good waitlist time stamp was 7:45 AM. Received Chantal's email today at 11:15.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting, I'm rooting for you!

congrats!!! so are people not receiving phone calls anymore??

1 minute ago, whyudodistome said:

congrats!!! so are people not receiving phone calls anymore??

Thanks! Unless I had no service and the call was somehow missed, I can see no evidence that I received a phone call. Made the email that much more surprising lol.

I’m beginning to think there is more transparency about location on the waitlist than originally thought. I definitely think email time stamp indicates your position on the wait list (or all the lists for that matter). 

For any of you interested, there’s a way to check even the exact second your email was sent. I wouldn’t post it here though, because then you can 100% be identified.