Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Support Thread - 2018

On 5/8/2018 at 12:41 PM, Graduate08 said:

My friend was also bad-waitlisted for MD... but she was good waitlisted (i dont think they have a bad waitlist for the dual degree) for Ottawa's MD/PhD program... looks like bad waitlist is basically a rejection...shes wondering: is there ever a case where someone backed out from MD/PhD (receive acceptances earlier)  last minute, after finding out they got accepted for MD (in any ontario school) on D-Day?

There won't be any more movement in the MD/PhD program 

I have a theory that if you have a 3.98 or higher and good-waitlisted you will eventually get accepted. If the good waitlist is made of two interview score bins and it always makes it until the 3.97 mark on the second bin then if you’re above that you will get in.

Take this with a HUGE grain of salt. I’m just theorizing, for all we know, the good waitlist could be much much bigger. 

16 minutes ago, FatherFranklin said:

I have a theory that if you have a 3.98 or higher and good-waitlisted you will eventually get accepted. If the good waitlist is made of two interview score bins and it always makes it until the 3.97 mark on the second bin then if you’re above that you will get in.

Take this with a HUGE grain of salt. I’m just theorizing, for all we know, the good waitlist could be much much bigger. 

I think in previous years though, its gone through several (3-4ish) bins though. But I do agree its likely that the good waitlist typically ends with the last or second to last bin thats accepted and a high gpa is helpful. However, we also don't know that the bins are evenly filled with people and that could also complicate things. 

3 minutes ago, FlameGrilledChicken said:

I think in previous years though, its gone through several (3-4ish) bins though. But I do agree its likely that the good waitlist typically ends with the last or second to last bin thats accepted and a high gpa is helpful. However, we also don't know that the bins are evenly filled with people and that could also complicate things. 

They've also interviewed people with a lot lower GPAs than previous years, so maybe this means it will move a bit lower in whichever interview bin they typically end in.

20 minutes ago, Jfourn said:

They've also interviewed people with a lot lower GPAs than previous years, so maybe this means it will move a bit lower in whichever interview bin they typically end in.

Yup, I agree, I think they probably still have similar numbers of people in each bin but instead of going from 4.0 -> 3.9 it might go down from 4.0 -> 3.8 in a bin for example which means that a low GPA is not necessarily a death sentence.  

On 5/8/2018 at 12:17 PM, Jfourn said:

I've been on the waitlist in 2016, 2017 and this year. In 2015, 2014 and 2013 it didn't move to the bad waitlist. Based on how the waitlist moves we believe we are placed into different interview score groups (4, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5, 2.0 etc...). Those in the 4.0 group get in right away, and those in the 3.5 group with higher GPAs (3.99-4.0) are also accepted, and then come May 22 you will slowly start to see the waitlist move from people with 3.98 getting accepted down to like 3.9. This will be the end of the 3.5 interview group, and it will move on to the 3.0 interview group. So next you will see people with 4.0 and 3.99 getting accepted off the waitlist.

Now we don't know this for sure, some people believe that our interview scores are averaged so we could have groups like (4.0, 3.66, 3.5 etc..). Whatever it may be, it moves into the third grouping and stays there.

With that being said, it looks like there were a lot more lower GPAs that were interviewed this year, so perhaps those with the mid 3.9 GPAs in the 3.0 interview group could have a shot at getting accepted in late June or early July (I'm hoping so at least).

So based on that how good is the good wait list for Ottawa now - been a few years since I analyzed it. Cannot be perfect if I am reading your signature correctly - good luck by the way! I am hoping it ends in good news

3 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

So based on that how good is the good wait list for Ottawa now - been a few years since I analyzed it. Cannot be perfect if I am reading your signature correctly - good luck by the way! I am hoping it ends in good news

Thanks. I am getting very anxious because of the lack of McGill OOP movement and the fact that I’m on this waitlist again. I started to play Diablo 2 again to try to keep my mind busy.

2 minutes ago, Jfourn said:

Thanks. I am getting very anxious because of the lack of McGill OOP movement and the fact that I’m on this waitlist again. I started to play Diablo 2 again to try to keep my mind busy.

Ha, classic. Plus long enough to provide some distraction :)

Yeah that must be frustrating of course - waitlists are never fun (I will repeat my thoughts on us having some form of CARMS like system for this so that the waitlists vanish and all the outcomes are decided immediately without any disadvantage to the applicants). 

You seem to be quite successful in getting interviews there though which is promising at least. 

2 hours ago, FatherFranklin said:

Its hard to know exactly how things work, but my year in 2015, I had a 3.92 GPA and was accepted 2 days after the date to respond to initial offers , so I think the waitlist started pretty low down in the second bin would be my guess, and then went into 1-2 more bins. 

On 5/8/2018 at 3:09 PM, friedchickendudeMD said:

I am rooting for you guys! I hope you make it! especially Fatherfranklin, Jfourn and Maggie19

Long time lurker, first time poster. I was accepted to the English stream on Tuesday. I’m really sorry that everyone has to go through this tough wait in this thread, you’re all very deserving to be accepted. I’d like to specifically call out this guy though. To be quite frank, it makes me really disappointed that I am going to be colleagues with someone who has immediately shown his true colours when getting accepted. To name drop people who you feel are “more deserving” than others (no hate to those individuals he mentioned) shows a complete lack of empathy for those going through a really difficult time right now. I’m hoping in medical school you’ll learn how to be a bit more compassionate towards others.

9 minutes ago, Panacea2022 said:

Long time lurker, first time poster. I was accepted to the English stream on Tuesday. I’m really sorry that everyone has to go through this tough wait in this thread, you’re all very deserving to be accepted. I’d like to specifically call out this guy though. To be quite frank, it makes me really disappointed that I am going to be colleagues with someone who has immediately shown his true colours when getting accepted. To name drop people who you feel are “more deserving” than others (no hate to those individuals he mentioned) shows a complete lack of empathy for those going through a really difficult time right now. I’m hoping in medical school you’ll learn how to be a bit more compassionate towards others.

Perhaps they are friends on the forum? Not that I know the situation :)

40 minutes ago, Panacea2022 said:

Perhaps! But it would have been more tactful to privately DM them. 

We know each other personally so he’s just acknowledging a few of us that he knows outside PM101 inside the forum. He’s rooting for all of us just like he said. It really isn’t him trying to cherry pick a few people on here who he thinks are more qualified.

2 hours ago, Panacea2022 said:

What the heck? That guy’s comment just seemed like an innocent and nice thing to say to show support for his friends from my perspective. Meanwhile your comment comes off as aggressive and condescending. If anything I think you’re the one who comes off as lacking empathy, why do you feel the need to come into the waitlist thread to state you got in on Tuesday then rag on someone for showing support? 

1 hour ago, FatherFranklin said:

We know each other personally so he’s just acknowledging a few of us that he knows outside PM101 inside the forum. He’s rooting for all of us just like he said. It really isn’t him trying to cherry pick a few people on here who he thinks are more qualified.

Figured as much - this is one of the issues of a forum. They are imperfect means of communication. 

In any case I wouldn't want to derail a thread - particular one specifically for supporting people at this time over such things. The universe is stressful enough

6 hours ago, rmorelan said:

Figured as much - this is one of the issues of a forum. They are imperfect means of communication. 

In any case I wouldn't want to derail a thread - particular one specifically for supporting people at this time over such things. The universe is stressful enough

Agreed :)

Lets all stick together through this. This community and a select few of my friends are the only people who I can relate with.

So I know that we've determined that there seems to be approximately 90 people or so who get in off the good waitlist. Does anyone know how many people get the good waitlist email in total? Or conversely, the number of people who receive the good waitlist email but never receive an offer of admission? There's probably no numbers on that last one, but anecdotally does anyone know how common that is?