Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Waitlist Party

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, healthscireject said:

Has no one gotten off the waitlist yet other than 1 guy or has no one posted about it...?

Maybe they're holding on to most of the WL offers until next week, to better match up with other schools?? I assume the largest opening of spots will happen next week after the May 22 deadline for first offers anyways, maybe more efficient to lump everything together. 

4 hours ago, healthscireject said:

Has no one gotten off the waitlist yet other than 1 guy or has no one posted about it...?

No news here as well :( Last year, I believe the emails started to come starting May 18th onwards. At least according to the posts on the Accepted/Rejected/Waitlist topic. So maybe we'll hear something end of this week or more likely next week! 

4 hours ago, markup said:

Maybe they're holding on to most of the WL offers until next week, to better match up with other schools?? I assume the largest opening of spots will happen next week after the May 22 deadline for first offers anyways, maybe more efficient to lump everything together. 

They don't generally care about this I think. If anything, they are incentivized to get the offers out faster, as they are more likely to get their higher ranked candidates who may have received an offer elsewhere but would prefer Mac.

I was on the waitlist at Mac once, if I remember correctly the first large surge of offers was the second Friday after the initial offers. Don't know if they'll be following that pattern this year of course but that could be a date to look out for

1 hour ago, premed647 said:

I was accepted off of the waitlist today at 12:21pm (Hamilton campus).

First of all, congratulations!!! Do you mind if I ask which rank Hamilton campus was on your list? I'm going to go ahead and assume 1st*...

My friend got in at 1pm on Wednesday to a regional campus (2nd choice) Hamilton was the 1st choice. @premed647 got in at 12:21pm on Thursday to Hamilton (1st choice*). Is the order of acceptance off of the watilist not sequential? How is the campus decided with regard to those on the waitlist? Am I reading too deep into this?

9 minutes ago, healthscireject said:

First of all, congratulations!!! Do you mind if I ask which rank Hamilton campus was on your list? I'm going to go ahead and assume 1st*...

My friend got in at 1pm on Wednesday to a regional campus (2nd choice) Hamilton was the 1st choice. @premed647 got in at 12:21pm on Thursday to Hamilton (1st choice*). Is the order of acceptance off of the watilist not sequential? How is the campus decided with regard to those on the waitlist? Am I reading too deep into this?

Thank you. I don't think it's sequential. To the best of my knowledge, for the waitlist, they just give offers down the waitlist as they become available, regardless of campus preference. I suppose it is possible that they collect a bunch of waitlist offers and then try to match students to their preferred campus, but we can only speculate. In either case, I don't know any better than you. And for what it's worth, I ranked Hamilton first.

12 minutes ago, healthscireject said:

The ranking doesn't really matter for the waitlist people. They are matching the first available position with the next person on the list.

Contrary to what has been stated on this thread, your post-interview ranking or wait list position has no bearing on if you're assigned to your preferred campus. Mac utilizes a weighted lottery system based off your preferences to determine what students are assigned to each campus. If the regional campuses are under prescribed (which seems to often happen), then it's just luck of the draw that determines if someone who prefers Hamilton ends up at a regional campus, not that they were on the bottom of the accepted list. By ranking a specific regional campus second, you increase your odds of being assigned there if you don't luck out with Hamilton. With respect to the wait list, it seems to be first come first serve. Applicants are offered whatever campus comes available with the opening spot. So if you prefer Hamilton, but you're next on the wait list after someone turned down a spot at the Niagara campus, you're offered at Niagara.  

Just now, list2make said:

@premed647 if you don't mind me asking, will you be accepting your offer at McMaster? 

This is something I'm currently in the process of deciding. As soon as I decide, I will let this thread know. Regardless, I will have to make a decision by this Monday.

Archived