Premed 101 Forums

Queens Waitlist 2018

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay so far from the Queen's feed, there are 4 people who were waitlisted by Queen's but accepting another offer (maybe?) and 2 people who were accepted by Queen's but declining for another offer... So that means there are 6 spots for us so far!! lol

Queen's does send out rejections today too right?? Does anyone know approximately how many people get rejected first round?

Waitlisted second year in a row. although am handling it much better, i just cant get over how confused I am by this whole interview process. My interview went smoothly, 3 of my MMI interviewers felt impressed by what i said (one even complimented my performance). Other 3 were good. Panel was smooth, answers were thoughtful for the most part. Its just so frustrating knowing there is not much i can improve on.

15 minutes ago, 2hopeful said:

You get a call for waitlisters not emails?

Unless somethings changed this year, that’s whats been the norm. They will also try email if can’t reach by phone. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

3 hours ago, IMislove said:

Unless somethings changed this year, that’s whats been the norm. They will also try email if can’t reach by phone. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

I'm p sure they just email at least in the beginning. As time goes on and they're giving one off offers, I think is when they call.

12 minutes ago, 2hopeful said:

I feel u, my neuroticism is slowly consuming me and making it hard to focus on my job. Just end my misery Queens :’(

Don't worry, you're not neurotic until you've tried to map out where all the Ontario interviewees are ending up to calculate the odds that it will open up a spot or move you up in the waitlist... #guilty :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, silverorlead said:

Does anyone know approx how many people are waitlisted, and how many get in off the waitlist. I know it doesn't mean much but this wait just sucks so much.  

Since the WL moved by 70-90 in previous years, I would assume probably over 100?

Different numbers for the waitlist have been thrown around, from 150-300. Realy no one knows unless you’re in the admissions committee lol. One can hope it’s not overly huge. One more week! And then either more waiting or finally acceptance. And as raider said, 70-90ish get off the past few years, but they either accept or reject the offer.

11 hours ago, RaiderMSc said:

Don't worry, you're not neurotic until you've tried to map out where all the Ontario interviewees are ending up to calculate the odds that it will open up a spot or move you up in the waitlist... #guilty :ph34r:

You must PM me this data.... HAHAHA

11 hours ago, silverorlead said:

Does anyone know approx how many people are waitlisted, and how many get in off the waitlist? I know it doesn't mean much but this wait just sucks so much.  

2 hours ago, IMislove said:

Different numbers for the waitlist have been thrown around, from 150-300. Realy no one knows unless you’re in the admissions committee lol. One can hope it’s not overly huge. One more week! And then either more waiting or finally acceptance. And as raider said, 70-90ish get off the past few years, but they either accept or reject the offer.

I honestly expect the waitlist to be around 150. If the waitlist was as many as 300 then almost everyone interviewed would be on the waitlist. This is surely not the case as I know many friends who were outright rejected by Queens, so I assume a decent amount of people were rejected (but accepted at other schools, so they must've been qualified in some capacity). Unless its a sampling bias and my friends are just not what Queens are looking for.

11 minutes ago, 2hopeful said:

I honestly expect the waitlist to be around 150. If the waitlist was as many as 300 then almost everyone interviewed would be on the waitlist. This is surely not the case as I know many friends who were outright rejected by Queens, so I assume a decent amount of people were rejected (but accepted at other schools, so they must've been qualified in some capacity). Unless its a sampling bias and my friends are just not what Queens are looking for.

I would agree with your sentiment, one would think it wouldn’t be the majority of people interviewed, especially with such a small class size. But I guess we will never know for sure unless part of ADCOM. I’m sorry about your friends though. Queens does seem pretty particular in their selection that’s for sure lol.

1 hour ago, 2hopeful said:

I guess it depends on how many remove themselves from the waitlist before May 22 for other Ontario schools. If it was 150 and ~50 people removed themselves, almost everyone on the waitlist would get in... but it looks like there are lots of people who don’t get off the waitlist based on these forums (and lots of people who turn down waitlist positions). 

All this speculation is going to drive me crazy 

I wanted to add that a good number of people get out right rejected. They just dont usually post about it. Aside from that I also know that they interview about 500. My best guess would be 100 acceptances, 250-300 waitlists, 100-150 rejects. From this you can see why so many people post waitlisted, because up to 60% of interviewees get waitlisted. Keep in mind tho that alot of those waitlisted get accepted elsewhere and remove themselves (and those must be pretty high up the list because they must have done really well at other schools). Best estimate is around 100 get in off the waitlist, 50-100 remove themselves, 100-150 dont get the call and end up waiting for eternity. Which means chances now are around 50%.

There you have it, neuroticism at its best. If medicine doesnt work, at least I know I can make a good statistician. :rolleyes:

48 minutes ago, InternistInTraining said:

I wanted to add that a good number of people get out right rejected. They just dont usually post about it. Aside from that I also know that they interview about 500. My best guess would be 100 acceptances, 250-300 waitlists, 100-150 rejects. From this you can see why so many people post waitlisted, because up to 60% of interviewees get waitlisted. Keep in mind tho that alot of those waitlisted get accepted elsewhere and remove themselves (and those must be pretty high up the list because they must have done really well at other schools). Best estimate is around 100 get in off the waitlist, 50-100 remove themselves, 100-150 dont get the call and end up waiting for eternity. Which means chances now are around 50%.

There you have it, neuroticism at its best. If medicine doesnt work, at least I know I can make a good statistician. :rolleyes:

Yeah this is probably the best representation of the case. Yikes. Im not sure I like my odds anymore. 

Archived