Premed 101 Forums

Queens Waitlist 2018

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Butterfly_ said:

Omg congrats!!!! That’s awesome :)! Your perseverance paid off!! You should totally write a non trad story!!

I will, so tired and need to volunteer now lol. I hope it inspires people. Thank you for the kind words :)

Support or refute: Some people probably made a decision on the last day (today) before the WL started moving, thus only the spots from people who officially declined the offer were given to the ppl on the WL. Therefore, some spots from those who made their decision today are still left to be offered.

Congrats everyone who got in today! The upper years have our final exams currently but I can make myself available if you have any questions :)

4 minutes ago, Dragonite said:

Support or refute: Some people probably made a decision on the last day (today) before the WL started moving, thus only the spots from people who officially declined the offer were given to the ppl on the WL. Therefore, some spots from those who made their decision today are still left to be offered.

Support, and some people who received offers today also received offers from other schools who they were on the waitlist for. There's still hope fam! I know how hard it is at this point, but historically a decent chunk of offers are still made over the next few weeks.

I was really defeated after seeing offers go out today and not receiving one. But after reflecting a bit I know I have an MPH waiting for me. The only thing that hurts is feeling like I am falling "behind" because I will be older after a masters and taking a year off, but its a pretty irrational fear. It's not over yet, but planning to move on...

3 hours ago, getrich said:

Can always apply again next year! Your application is only getting stronger with your experiences :)

Damn right I will. I ugly-cried into the phone for 2 hours, then reminded myself why I am a badass boss (med school or no med  school) and what a rejection CAN'T take away from me, and started planning my next moves. Still hurts though but I know what I gotta do.

27 minutes ago, 2hopeful said:

I was really defeated after seeing offers go out today and not receiving one. But after reflecting a bit I know I have an MPH waiting for me. The only thing that hurts is feeling like I am falling "behind" because I will be older after a masters and taking a year off, but its a pretty irrational fear. It's not over yet, but planning to move on...

It's a very common fear :) you have your whole life ahead of you! An extra 1, 2, or even 5 years is really nothing in the grand scheme of things (I.e. 30-35 yrs of your career). It's a great opportunity to get to know yourself better and enjoy life in general. If after your MPH you want to reapply, then you'll have all these additional experiences to offer and some other doors open. If you decide then that you'd rather just move on with other things- well that's okay too :)

8 hours ago, Egg_McMuffin said:

Damn right I will. I ugly-cried into the phone for 2 hours, then reminded myself why I am a badass boss (med school or no med  school) and what a rejection CAN'T take away from me, and started planning my next moves. Still hurts though but I know what I gotta do.

It's a very common fear :) you have your whole life ahead of you! An extra 1, 2, or even 5 years is really nothing in the grand scheme of things (I.e. 30-35 yrs of your career). It's a great opportunity to get to know yourself better and enjoy life in general. If after your MPH you want to reapply, then you'll have all these additional experiences to offer and some other doors open. If you decide then that you'd rather just move on with other things- well that's okay too :)

My story, will become your story. non-trad, multiple applications, finally get in. Keep doing you, and you know what, you still might hear back so not all hope is lost. I believe in you, now go kick some ass at work :D. 

For all those waiting, I declined my waitlist offer to Queen's and accepted my waitlist offer to McMaster tonight. So that should probably be registered tomorrow, with the schools catching up by Monday (McMaster's email to me mentioned there is a 1 day lag for them through OMSAS).

11 minutes ago, Persephone said:

For all those waiting, I declined my waitlist offer to Queen's and accepted my waitlist offer to McMaster tonight. So that should probably be registered tomorrow, with the schools catching up by Monday (McMaster's email to me mentioned there is a 1 day lag for them through OMSAS).

Congrad.  

I posted my stats, but wanted to post here as well. Last year I was immediately offered an interview (rejected from everywhere else) at McMaster but than spent the summer on the waitlist (unsuccessfully) so I know how that feels very very well.

Took this year off - was rejected from A TON of jobs in the healthcare field (which really hurt following the waitlist drag out and ultimate rejection) and ended up working 2 part time jobs: 1 in a high volume upssclae restaurant one at a healthcare start up. While my GPA is on the lower side of things My ECs refelect my "take opportunities where they arise" so while I do have a couple long term consitant things on their I also have summers doing only semi related lab work that allowed me to travel. Funnily enough in my panel interview they LOVED that I work as a hostess (short high volume client processing but making sure you are effecient and accurate). Any thing can help just look for skills everywhere!

This round I was rejected across canada, but ended up getting a interview from queens off the waitlist (that I didn't even know I was on) and just got an acceptance off the waitlist!!! I am definitely more of an atypical case so just wanted to post to give people some hope, it is possible with a bit of (read: a ton of) luck!! just keep trying and dont give up just yet, use it to stregthen your resolve and start looking for any opportunity!

*sorry for the long post, I just know how hard this is and hope it helps someone 

36 minutes ago, InternistInTraining said:

I wouldnt put my hopes high at this time. Guessing by last years, there are only gonna be a handful offers sent till the class is full email. 

If the Facebook group is any indicator, the class is pretty much full. 

Here’s to hoping next year is our year ! 

57 minutes ago, chiynadoll said:

If the Facebook group is any indicator, the class is pretty much full. 

Here’s to hoping next year is our year ! 

facebook groups are very unreliable. There are so many upper year students there, and many students who got accepted to multiple places and declined their offer but are still in the group. It looks like there are about 70 first year students in that group who accepted their offer. But then again, there are students who dont have facebook, and others who just havent signed up on the group. 

Archived