Premed 101 Forums

Western Med Waitlist Discussion/support

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'll kick this thread off: 

As an OOP student, I didn't really have a strong preference between the Ontario schools I interviewed at. While I had very positive experiences with students/staff at every interview weekend, Western really stood out to me. From the balloon arches and incredibly enthusiastic welcome to the casual, down to earth way we were shown around the campus, the community seemed to be so driven and so vibrant. From what we were told, the curriculum structure also sounded really cool! 

I was really hoping to receive an offer, but have been placed on the "high" waitlist. It's pretty nerve wracking... but I'm trying to stay hopeful (but not too hopeful).

2 minutes ago, Hellobatetaworld said:

Pardon my ignorance, but how would I tell which waitlist I'm on (good vs. Regular vs. Bad)? Thank you :)

From what I know there seems to be mentions of a "good" and "regular" waitlist in the accepted/rejected/waitlisted thread. Seems like it depends on what comes after this sentence in your waitlist email: 

"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offer that is not accepted will be filled by an individual from the Wait List." [some mention of whether or not applicants at your rank received offers in recent years?]

I'm not sure personally whether or not there is a high/normal/low or just high/normal waitlist. 

35 minutes ago, markup said:

From what I know there seems to be mentions of a "good" and "regular" waitlist in the accepted/rejected/waitlisted thread. Seems like it depends on what comes after this sentence in your waitlist email: 

"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offer that is not accepted will be filled by an individual from the Wait List." [some mention of whether or not applicants at your rank received offers in recent years?]

I'm not sure personally whether or not there is a high/normal/low or just high/normal waitlist. 

Thanks Markup! So if that line goes something like "applicants at your rank have received offers in recent years" then you're on high waitlist?

4 hours ago, Hellobatetaworld said:

Thanks Markup! So if that line goes something like "applicants at your rank have received offers in recent years" then you're on high waitlist?

From past/current year threads it looks like that is indeed the case :)

I was accepted to Queens, but have also been high waitlisted for my first choice (UWO). Wondering what people's thoughts are about declining a guaranteed offer at one school with the hope of being accepted off the high waitlist at UWO. Any ideas on how common it is to not get in off a high waitlist spot? Or is being on the high wait list pretty likely to result in an offer eventually? Is it worth the risk? 

Thanks for any advice! 

2 minutes ago, juno22 said:

I was accepted to Queens, but have also been high waitlisted for my first choice (UWO). Wondering what people's thoughts are about declining a guaranteed offer at one school with the hope of being accepted off the high waitlist at UWO. Any ideas on how common it is to not get in off a high waitlist spot? Or is being on the high wait list pretty likely to result in an offer eventually? Is it worth the risk? 

Thanks for any advice! 

Although historically you have a very high chance of getting in off the high waitlist, I don't know if it is worth taking the risk. High waitlist is not an absolute guarantee, although its as close as you can get. However, because Western waits until after the 2 week acceptance period to send out waitlist offers, there would be no going back to Queens if you decided to take your chances with Western. Also, as pointed out above, if UWO is your first choice due to location reasons, know that it is a possibility that you don't get your preferred campus.

Personally, I don't think its worth the risk. 

On 5/10/2018 at 9:59 PM, juno22 said:

Thanks for any advice! 

Good luck with your decision!

28 minutes ago, juno22 said:

Thanks for any advice! 

If you check the western acceptance thread for the past years, you can see that everyone on the high waitlist ends up getting in, as they always get to accept people from the normal waitlist. So the waitlist always reaches somewhere in the normal waitlist, so its safe to say you guarantee will end up getting in. Have you gotten into schools out of province? If so you dont have to reject those to make way for your western one.

you can see where they got to the waitlist in previous years in this thread 

35 minutes ago, SunAndMoon said:

A high waitlist is essentially an acceptance. An issue to consider is that you may not be guaranteed to get London campus however, so factor that in. I don't know if it's ever happened that ppl on HWL did not get in, but I'm sure someone else will correct me if I am wrong (@rmorelan?)

I mean I wouldn't want to over sell it as nothing in life is completely guaranteed but the high waitlist at Western has almost always cleared. I think if I recall there was only one year where it didn't happen way back and that resulted in additional steps being taken. 

Of course in such as situation as above I would wait until the last possible time before making such a choice. 

1 hour ago, SunAndMoon said:

A high waitlist is essentially an acceptance. An issue to consider is that you may not be guaranteed to get London campus however, so factor that in. I don't know if it's ever happened that ppl on HWL did not get in, but I'm sure someone else will correct me if I am wrong (@rmorelan?)

If my email says "Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offers not accepted will be filled by individuals on the Wait List. In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have received an offer of admission." Does that mean I am on the high waitlist? I just want to be 100% sure of where I stand before I get hopeful.

1 hour ago, rmorelan said:

I mean I wouldn't want to over sell it as nothing in life is completely guaranteed but the high waitlist at Western has almost always cleared. I think if I recall there was only one year where it didn't happen way back and that resulted in additional steps being taken. 

Of course in such as situation as above I would wait until the last possible time before making such a choice. 

Haha that is exactly why I tagged you. I remember you talking about that one year. What do you mean by additional steps being taken?

30 minutes ago, Hellobatetaworld said:

If my email says "Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offers not accepted will be filled by individuals on the Wait List. In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have received an offer of admission." Does that mean I am on the high waitlist? I just want to be 100% sure of where I stand before I get hopeful.

That is the high waitlist yes! :) 

6 hours ago, SunAndMoon said:

Haha that is exactly why I tagged you. I remember you talking about that one year. What do you mean by additional steps being taken?

That is the high waitlist yes! :) 

Well they kind of want the high wait list to clear. Otherwise it is not serving its purpose, and why have it at all? There is nothing wrong with going into the normal waitlist - they simply know more now more about what the levels should be.  

Just out of curiosity, if the phrasing for high waitlist is "applicants in your position on the wait list have received an offer of admission" and for low waitlist is "applicants in your position on the wait list have not received an offer of admission" what's the phrasing for applicants on the normal waitlist?

On 5/11/2018 at 8:09 AM, Supervenience said:

Has anybody ever been accepted to the London campus off the normal waitlist? Looking through past threads here it seems that nearly everybody on the waitlist gets accepted to the Windsor campus.

It has happened, but yeah by the time the high waitlist is exhausted most of the spots are in Windsor. I understand why that is a less popular location - although it really is a great place to go to medical school (popular thread topic of course ha). 

Is there a way to estimate how many people are on the wait list? I’m on the normal wait list and trying to seek comfort by knowing the odds of getting an offer. I know a decent amount of people with multiple offers who are leaning towards other schools, but I’m hesitant to get my hopes up to just have them crushed again lol. Best of luck to everyone :).

On 5/13/2018 at 6:13 AM, DarkRoastBlaq said:

Is there a way to estimate how many people are on the wait list? I’m on the normal wait list and trying to seek comfort by knowing the odds of getting an offer. I know a decent amount of people with multiple offers who are leaning towards other schools, but I’m hesitant to get my hopes up to just have them crushed again lol. Best of luck to everyone :).

I don't think there's a good way to know how many students are on the waitlist this year. If you're looking at more historical data of offers vs. acceptances, it may be useful to look at this post. I guess the only way to know approximately how many students were on each (good/reg/bad) waitlist for prior years would be to ask the current students of schulich med...

Archived