Premed 101 Forums

Western Med Waitlist Discussion/support

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Hellobatetaworld said:

So does the waitlist start moving tomorrow? Or is the 22nd the last day for those with offers to respond, and waitlisted offers start going out on the 23rd? 

23rd as tmrw last day to accept. Well at least we hope 23 lol.

In the past few years it looks like the high waitlist starts to move on the Thursday/Friday after the Tuesday deadline, and the normal waitlist starts to move by Monday, but it could be different this year. 

I really wish that there wasn't so much obscurity surrounding the waitlist, it makes the waiting so much worse. Even just things like informing applicants of the size of the high/normal/low waitlists would be nice.

12 minutes ago, Supervenience said:

In the past few years it looks like the high waitlist starts to move on the Thursday/Friday after the Tuesday deadline, and the normal waitlist starts to move by Monday, but it could be different this year. 

I really wish that there wasn't so much obscurity surrounding the waitlist, it makes the waiting so much worse. Even just things like informing applicants of the size of the high/normal/low waitlists would be nice.

Some schools have tried that - I think for most having an idea helps somewhat when they know their position. There have been issues where people really close to getting in but don't (say you always know your position on the waitlist) take it extremely badly. Something like that really worries the schools. Plus ha they do like keeping something private so they can change them at will without complaints. 

I say this a lot but hang in there - the entire situation is very stressful.  Do whatever you can to distract yourself. 

22 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

Some schools have tried that - I think for most having an idea helps somewhat when they know their position. There have been issues where people really close to getting in but don't (say you always know your position on the waitlist) take it extremely badly. Something like that really worries the schools. Plus ha they do like keeping something private so they can change them at will without complaints. 

I say this a lot but hang in there - the entire situation is very stressful.  Do whatever you can to distract yourself. 

Some schools like McGill have very good transparency; they give you your exact position on the waitlist and update their website concurrently with data such as "next offer will be extended to ## on the waitlist". I almost feel like this is one way reduces stress and increases transparency.

Just now, cacaonibs said:

Some schools like McGill have very good transparency; they give you your exact position on the waitlist and update their website concurrently with data such as "next offer will be extended to ## on the waitlist". I almost feel like this is one way reduces stress and increases transparency.

It absolutely does for many - I would even say most. Yet some people just cannot handle it - finding out ultimately they were so close and yet not get in? 

and it does add another layer of tech to be updated - I mean in theory you should be able to manage that easily enough but the track record of Ontario schools with technology gives something to be desired. They often seem to have great issue even getting the emails out in the first place.  It is kind of depressing actually 

9 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

It absolutely does for many - I would even say most. Yet some people just cannot handle it - finding out ultimately they were so close and yet not get in? 

and it does add another layer of tech to be updated - I mean in theory you should be able to manage that easily enough but the track record of Ontario schools with technology gives something to be desired. They often seem to have great issue even getting the emails out in the first place.  It is kind of depressing actually 

I almost prefer all 17 schools having one centralized system. Let's say all results are released May 1 with those having multiple offers given 2 weeks to decide. This will not only help candidates, but also remove a lot of information asymmetry across medical schools. 

6 minutes ago, cacaonibs said:

I almost prefer all 17 schools having one centralized system. Let's say all results are released May 1 with those having multiple offers given 2 weeks to decide. This will not only help candidates, but also remove a lot of information asymmetry across medical schools. 

I agree and would even take it one step further - I would use a CARMS like system for all the schools. You make your preferences in advance (just like with residency). There would be no waitlist at all and the entire matter would be resolved on the same day (except for those rare situations where people would have to withdraw for whatever reason). No waitlists at all. 

The drawback is you would have to pick your preferences a few weeks earlier than currently (say by May 1). It also would prevent email issues etc because it is easier to have a single place have the right system than 17 separate places. It would also save 1-2 admin people at 17 schools from trying to track down all these people, and it would prevent anyone from holding multiple offers etc. 

Actually there is on other issue - scholarship information wouldn't be known in advance which might make ranking for some a bit trickier, although still only a few people at most at each school. It could still be a controlled variable. 

On 5/21/2018 at 4:16 PM, cacaonibs said:

What would suck though would be to know you are next in line anddddd the line stops moving... forever...

1 minute ago, Edict said:

What would suck though would be to know you are next in line anddddd the line stops moving... forever...

that is the downside - not so much in canada because that approach is not done much but there have been cases of people mentally not being able of handling that and cracking, or attempting to manipulate things. If you know you are a spot away what would you do if someone was accepted above you? Or more importantly what could you do ha. Dramatic I know but not all people are stable. 

4 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

that is the downside - not so much in canada because that approach is not done much but there have been cases of people mentally not being able of handling that and cracking, or attempting to manipulate things. If you know you are a spot away what would you do if someone was accepted above you? Or more importantly what could you do ha. Dramatic I know but not all people are stable. 

sounds like a damn easy way to get blacklisted in future applications

5 hours ago, rmorelan said:

I know what I'm doing if there is a Purge mwahahah /s

13 hours ago, Hellobatetaworld said:

Congrats @iFlayx! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist, I hope we start hearing back soon :rolleyes:

hopefully - although I suppose the longer the wait the better ha, in the sense that other people may be accepted elsewhere advancing people on Western's waitlist.

9 hours ago, rmorelan said:

hopefully - although I suppose the longer the wait the better ha, in the sense that other people may be accepted elsewhere advancing people on Western's waitlist.

That is true! Will tomorrow be the day?

9 hours ago, markup said:

Anyone get the fabled phone call today? :)

I haven't heard anything from others on the waitlist and personally no, maybe tomorrow? :confused:

24 minutes ago, friend said:

I know that people who got unspecified campus got contacted today, so people on the waitlist probably will be hearing back starting next week. Not sure if they call/email over the weekend but I wouldn't bet on it.

20 minutes ago, Supervenience said:

It doesn't look like they have in past years. The admissions office is probably closed on the weekends. 

I don't know how to feel about this silence. I was expecting to see some signs of movement today...

You're probably right, I doubt they'll get in touch over the weekend, another weekend spent in anticipation... :(

I don't know what to expect I was really hoping for some news this week, and it'll influence my decision to retake the MCAT too... I know a lot of people have accepted offers elsewhere and others have removed themselves from the waitlist to accept offers elsewhere so here's to hoping we see movement next week...

Archived