Premed 101 Forums

French Stream: Waitlist Clarification

Hey everyone,

I've been scouring these forums for the past couple of days and there seems to be conflicting takes on waitlist information.

1. Is there a good versus bad waitlist for the french stream? If so, can anyone post a bad one?

2. Is the CNFS waitlist separate from the regular french stream?

From my understanding, there is no good/bad waitlist for french stream nor a separate bucket for CNFS students.

Thanks in advance!

Hi yes there is, this year it's confirmed that 2 seperate emails were sent to the french stream. The ''bad waitlist'' email is the same as the good but at the end it states that according to previous years you are unlikely to get a spot due to your rank.

For the CNFS waitlist, im not sure. But logically if there is a precise amount of spots for them, it's logical that if someone from that stream rejects their seat, the seat would be replaced by another CNFS candidate, therefore they would have their own waitlist. 

i can confirm that my friend got bad waitlisted in the french stream with a 3.98 gpa, while i was ''good waitlisted'' . but what i can't find is any information regarding how many people get waitlisted, and if there is any movement in the regular french waitlist (i know 4 people who will reject for mcgill), but it's conflicting info since some people say 1/3 of french admission is from the waitlist, while other claim it's around 6 or 10. 

1 minute ago, karl heider said:

i can confirm that my friend got bad waitlisted in the french stream with a 3.98 gpa, while i was ''good waitlisted'' . but what i can't find is any information regarding how many people get waitlisted, and if there is any movement in the regular french waitlist (i know 4 people who will reject for mcgill), but it's conflicting info since some people say 1/3 of french admission is from the waitlist, while other claim it's around 6 or 10. 

Thanks for confirming that there is a good/bad waitlist. Could you possibly ask your friend for the bad waitlist part and post it here? Appreciate it.

From the info session, we were told that everyone is placed on the waitlist. That means there are either:

Scenario 1: One big list including CNFS, 52 people on the waitlist; 100 interviewed in total so 100 minus the accepted 48.

or

Scenario 2: CNFS is separate, 36 people on waitlist; 100 - 40 regular french spots - 24 CNFS (24 people were interviewed for CNSF)

As per the movement, I also have read multiple claims but based on the overall stats, 256 offers for 164 spots, from the previous 2 years, I think at least there will be 10 openings for french. 

21 minutes ago, aaronahc said:

Thanks for confirming that there is a good/bad waitlist. Could you possibly ask your friend for the bad waitlist part and post it here? Appreciate it.

From the info session, we were told that everyone is placed on the waitlist. That means there are either:

Scenario 1: One big list including CNFS, 52 people on the waitlist; 100 interviewed in total so 100 minus the accepted 48.

or

Scenario 2: CNFS is separate, 36 people on waitlist; 100 - 40 regular french spots - 24 CNFS (24 people were interviewed for CNSF)

As per the movement, I also have read multiple claims but based on the overall stats, 256 offers for 164 spots, from the previous 2 years, I think at least there will be 10 openings for french. 

https://imgur.com/a/RfraSvg

i don't want to ask her for a screenshot of her mail, but my friend and other people on this forum have confirmed that there are two seperate messages for the waitlists in uottawa. but i have yet to meet someone on the bad waitlist inf CNFS, so there is a high probability that there is no good/badwaitlist in CNFS since it does not move alot

5 minutes ago, karl heider said:

i don't want to ask her for a screenshot of her mail, but my friend and other people on this forum have confirmed that there are two seperate messages for the waitlists in uottawa. but i have yet to meet someone on the bad waitlist inf CNFS, so there is a high probability that there is no good/badwaitlist in CNFS since it does not move a lot

Are you CNFS?

4 minutes ago, karl heider said:

i don't want to ask her for a screenshot of her mail, but my friend and other people on this forum have confirmed that there are two seperate messages for the waitlists in uottawa. but i have yet to meet someone on the bad waitlist inf CNFS, so there is a high probability that there is no good/badwaitlist in CNFS since it does not move alot

Thanks for the screenshot. That makes things a little more hopeful. 

I am aware that there is no good/bad waitlist for CNFS. Just not 100% sure that waitlists are separate because I remember hearing at the info session that they aren't...

2 minutes ago, Maggie19 said:

Are you CNFS?

no, i'am on the regular french stream

1 minute ago, aaronahc said:

Thanks for the screenshot. That makes things a little more hopeful. 

I am aware that there is no good/bad waitlist for CNFS. Just not 100% sure that waitlists are separate because I remember hearing at the info session that they aren't...

no worries, yeah my friend was really bummed since they told her in the info session there are no good/bad waitlist, so she was really down when we discussed it especially since she has a very high gpa she must be on the top of her interview bracket. i have heard that some years they even get people from the badwaitlist, so i'am really rooting for her, and hope i get an offer since i'am on the ''good'' waitlist

5 minutes ago, karl heider said:

no, i'am on the regular french stream

no worries, yeah my friend was really bummed since they told her in the info session there are no good/bad waitlist, so she was really down when we discussed it especially since she has a very high gpa she must be on the top of her interview bracket. i have heard that some years they even get people from the badwaitlist, so i'am really rooting for her, and hope i get an offer since i'am on the ''good'' waitlist

Fingers crossed for the both of you!

When do you guys in Quebec hear back from schools?

3 minutes ago, aaronahc said:

Fingers crossed for the both of you!

When do you guys in Quebec hear back from schools?

i think it's next week, already know 5 people refusing for mcgill, so for quebec we might have another 5 or so, and if we count toronto and other schools there is a good enough chance for people who are in the waitlist to hope for an offer

3 hours ago, karl heider said:

There is definitely a good/bad waitlist for the french stream, however no one can for sure tell you how much movement there will be as it changes every single year. Some years, there is only 2 admissions from the waitlist, while other years there is 10... it is highly dependent on the application pool for that specific year. Unfortunately, the admission’s office does not inform us on how many applicants are on the good vs. the bad waitlist, but I do know that most of my waitlisted friends are on the good one... so I’m assuming there’s still a fair amount of people on it. I know that last year’s class has at least 6 students that were admitted from the waitlist, but this year it could be more or it could be less depending on the amount of applicants receiving offers from other schools. Being good waitlisted is not a definite no so don’t give up, there is still hope :). You just have to be patient and trust the process! 

48 minutes ago, SuperMed said:

There is definitely a good/bad waitlist for the french stream, however no one can for sure tell you how much movement there will be as it changes every single year. Some years, there is only 2 admissions from the waitlist, while other years there is 10... it is highly dependent on the application pool for that specific year. Unfortunately, the admission’s office does not inform us on how many applicants are on the good vs. the bad waitlist, but I do know that most of my waitlisted friends are on the good one... so I’m assuming there’s still a fair amount of people on it. I know that last year’s class has at least 6 students that were admitted from the waitlist, but this year it could be more or it could be less depending on the amount of applicants receiving offers from other schools. Being good waitlisted is not a definite no so don’t give up, there is still hope :). You just have to be patient and trust the process! 

are all your friends on the regular french stream or CNFS? and if possible could you tell how many ?

thank you

11 hours ago, aaronahc said:

Hi NBgeegee17,

Are you sure or this? It would be great if this was true!

Well, here's what I know: a friend of mine in the CNFS stream from my year got off the waitlist. The day before she got the call, her friend who was also in the CNFS stream was accepted to another med school and gave her spot at uOttawa. Another one of my friend in first year also got off from the CNFS waitlist and there is still 8 people in the CNFS stream in that class. In fact, for the past 4 years, there has been 8 CNFS student per class (max number), if the waitlist was separate, we wouldn't get the max number of CNFS students per year!

Archived