Premed 101 Forums

BC Family Doctor Billing

Hi,

I've just about finished a full year of independent practice in Vancouver and I found I made alot less money than anticipated. I saw alot of womens health cases and overall have a general family medicine practice. I see about 35-40 patients per day. Does anyone have tips on billing? Particularly in the province of BC?

Does anyone do anything extra on the side to make more money? I was thinking of doing GP derm

Thanks! 

I recommend that you review the UBC CPD on billing. Dr. Eric Cadesky narrates it and he provides many tips for billing.

If you're seeing 35-40 patients per day, that's at least $1200 per day before overhead. Forms, private patients, WSBC claims will drive that up, as will procedures, to $1500-$1700 per day. If you work 5 days per week that's at least $300,000 per year assuming 2 weeks' vacation before overhead. After overhead that's still more than $200,000 per year. This is the bare minimum with 35-40 patients per day and 5 days per week.

Remember that you also have other incentives, such as phone billing, complex care, mental health planning, and personal health risk assessments.

20 hours ago, Mithril said:

I recommend that you review the UBC CPD on billing. Dr. Eric Cadesky narrates it and he provides many tips for billing.

If you're seeing 35-40 patients per day, that's at least $1200 per day before overhead. Forms, private patients, WSBC claims will drive that up, as will procedures, to $1500-$1700 per day. If you work 5 days per week that's at least $300,000 per year assuming 2 weeks' vacation before overhead. After overhead that's still more than $200,000 per year. This is the bare minimum with 35-40 patients per day and 5 days per week.

Remember that you also have other incentives, such as phone billing, complex care, mental health planning, and personal health risk assessments.

this is why family medicine is an amazing deal. work as little or as much as you want. you can make a great living. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2018 at 4:28 PM, whystress? said:

I'm making about $ 200 000. Thanks everyone for your replies. I clearly need to be better at billing 

Gross billings? If so that is pretty low if you're truly seeing 35+ patients a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year.

Something doesn't add up, or youre intending to mean net after overhead?

Archived