Premed 101 Forums

The final countdown is on!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Zurv said:

I am preparing myself for not getting in. I know it's a bad mindset to have but I am think I am just being realistic.

100 people get accepted from 1100-1200 applicants. 

To be honest, I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm holding on to a small sliver of hope, but the realist in me tells me this year isn't the year. Do you mind me asking what your stats are? I've applied to UofT and Queen's for OT with a 3.53 sGPA and a 3.28 cGPA. I'm OOP (Prince Edward Island). 

4 hours ago, Zurv said:

I am preparing myself for not getting in. I know it's a bad mindset to have but I am think I am just being realistic.

100 people get accepted from 1100-1200 applicants. 

Where 100? Isn’t it more like 60-70? xD

From what I’ve heard, half the applications every year don’t even meet cut-off or prerequisites, so I think the “real” competition is usually between 500-600 applications... if that makes you feel any better :) 

Depends how many schools you apply to I suppose. I applied to four so that's over 300 spots I have a chance at. Plus they send out more offers knowing some people won't accept. Trying to stay optimistic without getting my hopes up too much. Can't wait until the wait is over! 

I also applied to 4 OT schools in Ontario and being able to make the cut for McMaster's MMI makes me hopeful this year. Realistically, it's probably the same applicant pool that are applying to all the OT schools in Ontario. All we need is 1 admission offer and many people do end up with multiple offers. So being able to get on the waitlist would also seem hopeful.  But I completely understand the frustration of how competitive admission is. Uncertainties are hard to live with and unfortunately it's part of the admission process. The wait is almost over. Wishing eveyone all the best!! 

Good Luck everyone! The wait is almost over. I really hope to get into Uoft PT. I did meet the CAP cut-off but I'm probably on the lower end of the gpa spectrum. I'm somewhat confident in my CAP but of course there are always those questions that you think you could have answered differently. A previous student did tell me that some people in the program wonder how they even got in. Haha. so there is always hope. Anyway, good luck to all! No matter what the decision, you all have a degree already with amazing GPAs that made you eligible to apply, so you are all qualified. You will do great things no matter what. :) Also, UofT is admitting 110 this year, so more hope! yay! 

18 minutes ago, PTapp2018M99 said:

Good Luck everyone! The wait is almost over. I really hope to get into Uoft PT. I did meet the CAP cut-off but I'm probably on the lower end of the gpa spectrum. I'm somewhat confident in my CAP but of course there are always those questions that you think you could have answered differently. A previous student did tell me that some people in the program wonder how they even got in. Haha. so there is always hope. Anyway, good luck to all! No matter what the decision, you all have a degree already with amazing GPAs that made you eligible to apply, so you are all qualified. You will do great things no matter what. :) Also, UofT is admitting 110 this year, so more hope! yay! 

what was the cap cut off? I made the CAP but I think I'm on the lower end of the spectrum as well

On 5/12/2018 at 5:55 PM, Josh420 said:

After cap invites will gpa really make that much of a difference? Everyone will be within like 0.2 of each other at this point. Then again I don't know what the cut off was but I'm assuming around 3.8 or so... 

2 hours ago, Rehab4Life said:

Where 100? Isn’t it more like 60-70? xD

From what I’ve heard, half the applications every year don’t even meet cut-off or prerequisites, so I think the “real” competition is usually between 500-600 applications... if that makes you feel any better :) 

This is very true. The first time I applied was from a university that used a different GPA scale than the one I was applying too, turns out I wasn't even eligible to apply because my grades were above the cut off according to one scale but not another. 

3 hours ago, Happyness said:

Keeping my fingers crossed for Toronto PT. 300 students were invited to the CAP and they accept 110 so that’s about a 1 in 3 chance of being accepted. And given that many students apply to multiple PT programs it’s likely that at least a few will decline their offers to UofT. Now add in at least 15 people getting in off the waitlist and the odds are 5 in 13. Now add in extreme nervousness and anxiety and the chances turn in to 1 in 1,000,000. 

Lol

But honestly it doesn’t matter what program you graduate from. All that matters is that you do your best to become a great PT or OT. 

If it makes you feel any better schools usually over-accept because they know that people will turn down offers. So there's a good chance that UofT sends out let's say, 150 first round offers for 110 spots (so 1 in 2 chance!). Of course this lessens your chances if you're on the waitlist, but there's still hope :)

On 5/12/2018 at 4:43 PM, Happyness said:

Keeping my fingers crossed for Toronto PT. 300 students were invited to the CAP and they accept 110 so that’s about a 1 in 3 chance of being accepted. And given that many students apply to multiple PT programs it’s likely that at least a few will decline their offers to UofT. Now add in at least 15 people getting in off the waitlist and the odds are 5 in 13. Now add in extreme nervousness and anxiety and the chances turn in to 1 in 1,000,000. 

Lol

But honestly it doesn’t matter what program you graduate from. All that matters is that you do your best to become a great PT or OT. 

Were 300 invited? Their website says 350 but thats all I can find, the email didn't mention anything about how many were invited.

28 minutes ago, NorthernO said:

Were 300 invited? Their website says 350 but thats all I can find, the email didn't mention anything about how many were invited.

I called them and they said about 300.  Maybe they invite 350 and a little less than that show up. 

Reminder that if you don't get accepted on your first time applying—it's completely normal. I was seeing a PT in my community for treatment last year who had just graduated from UofT a year or so earlier. She said that she and her friend were in the minority as students that had been accepted straight out of undergrad. So she emphasized to me that if I got rejected, I should try again.

I was rejected last year and took it very hard. But I took the year to improve myself a lot, I improved my application and gained a ton more experience. This year I'm not thinking about getting accepted or rejected as much as I had an unhealthy amount of anxiety last year. I'm also not making any assumptions about this year (but all my digits are crossed).

Anyways—best of luck to everyone, and remember being denied doesn't determine your future or indicate your worth.

16 hours ago, NorthernOntarioGal said:

Reminder that if you don't get accepted on your first time applying—it's completely normal. I was seeing a PT in my community for treatment last year who had just graduated from UofT a year or so earlier. She said that she and her friend were in the minority as students that had been accepted straight out of undergrad. So she emphasized to me that if I got rejected, I should try again.

I was rejected last year and took it very hard. But I took the year to improve myself a lot, I improved my application and gained a ton more experience. This year I'm not thinking about getting accepted or rejected as much as I had an unhealthy amount of anxiety last year. I'm also not making any assumptions about this year (but all my digits are crossed).

Anyways—best of luck to everyone, and remember being denied doesn't determine your future or indicate your worth.

We were in the same boat last year!

9 hours ago, OThopeful18 said:

Does anyone know if admisison offers get sent out at 12 am Ontario time? Last year I got rejection letters around 9 pm BC time, which is midnight in Ontario.

That seems like an odd time. It was around 8:00am if I recall correctly.

Archived