Premed 101 Forums

Imposter Syndrome

I just got accepted and I was beyond excited at first, and I think I still am, but there's this lingering feeling in the back that I don't deserve this or that I just got super lucky and that this is a huge mistake, or that this actually isn't really a big deal because I didn't really try that hard (but I did try pretty hard...). Anyone feel similar? 

its very normal to feel that way after achieving a dream, and getting what you worked at for years. It also doesnt help to know that there are plenty of amazing students out there (both accepted and rejected ones). I have many friends who just felt empty and didnt know what to do now that they got in. A new stage begins, and you start to see things with a different lens, starting to worry that other students who got in might be better than. Its part of the process, and it never ends .. so just enjoy getting in

Yeah, I feel kinda empty too. This isn't how I imagined I'd feel at all. Also doesn't help that I'm SWOMEN and only received this one interview and acceptance. Makes me feel like I only made it because of the sheer luck of having been SWOMEN.. 

16 minutes ago, mcqueen said:

I just got accepted and I was beyond excited at first, and I think I still am, but there's this lingering feeling in the back that I don't deserve this or that I just got super lucky and that this is a huge mistake, or that this actually isn't really a big deal because I didn't really try that hard (but I did try pretty hard...). Anyone feel similar?  

This whole med school application process really has the potential to mess with your self-esteem. I think it's natural to feel that way.

i understand, its not easy. And now that you bring up the SWOMEN notion, it makes more sense why you feel that way. And I think that alot of students accepted through SWOMEN students who get in would feel the same. But you have to remember that at the end of the day, there is a reason behind the SWOMEN concept, there are definite inequities in Ontario and not all students start on the same footing, and thats what SWOMEN is supposed to eliminate so its actually bringing the field more even again for you

I'm almost done first year and I still feel like this from time to time! But know that pretty much everyone feels like this, and that it does get better. The admissions committee did NOT make a mistake and you completely deserved that acceptance!

You are being too harsh on yourself! Try to get rid of phylosophical reflections and just focus on practical issues :) You were able to got in because you certainly deserve it, at least that is what admission commete was working on during the whole process. Congratualtion and best of luck!  

ha, so common. I mean it is so common that one of the first slides you see when you get to orientation is exactly on that subject. The entire "shortly they will figure out there is a mistake and I don't belong here". Those extra stuck with the feeling somehow even factor in their removal will involve being hauled out in front of the class. In any case completely normal. 

Getting in is a process - officially it starts when you get the email, but it isn't over until eventually you become comfortable with the idea. Takes time but if you got in then you got in 

Dude, it is normal to feel like an imposter. Everyone does, no exception.

I remember showing to orientation at McGill on the first day, and upon arrival I started to panic a bit because I thought for sure they made a mistake and I wasn't actually accepted.

I don't know when it stops, if it ever will, but it will stay with you for quite a while. It's part of the proces and it's normal.

Now I'm done with med school and I have a resident number already, although I haven't started residency. It's like "wow, I can prescribe for patients now? Wow should I be trusted with this?" 

Congrats on your acceptance!

I totally feel the same. Im still in disbelief that I got accepted into one medical school after being rejected by 6 others and waitlisted by 1. Reading posts from many of the other applicants whether accepted, waitlisted, or rejected made me wonder if I really deserved my spot.

I’m also starting to freak out about the upcoming school work. The last time I studied in university was six years ago. I’m afraid I might be really behind other students who have just come out of school and have strong science backgrounds. 

Furthermore, I have to move to a different province, putting strain on both my elderly parents and my fiancé who had just started a new full-time job. I feel guilty that my fiancé will have to find a new job and start life in a whole new environment. 

Sorry for venting. I’m usually quite positive on this forum but today just got me a little overwhelmed because I never considered moving out of province until today.

Thanks for reading my rambling.

40 minutes ago, Butterfly_ said:

I totally feel the same. Im still in disbelief that I got accepted into one medical school after being rejected by 6 others and waitlisted by 1. Reading posts from many of the other applicants whether accepted, waitlisted, or rejected made me wonder if I really deserved my spot.

I’m also starting to freak out about the upcoming school work. The last time I studied in university was six years ago. I’m afraid I might be really behind other students who have just come out of school and have strong science backgrounds. 

Furthermore, I have to move to a different province, putting strain on both my elderly parents and my fiancé who had just started a new full-time job. I feel guilty that my fiancé will have to find a new job and start life in a whole new environment. 

Sorry for venting. I’m usually quite positive on this forum but today just got me a little overwhelmed because I never considered moving out of province until today.

Thanks for reading my rambling.

As a non-science student who only did a couple years of science courses as pre-reqs I have the same worry as you about being behind the other students. When I was at interviews I asked a lot of med students about this and they said they knew quite a number of classmates in the same position and that the curriculum in med school is set up for people with different backgrounds and not to worry. Like you won't really need any organic chemistry or anything. 

I know it's probably stressful to think about moving, (it is such a pain to move provinces). As a person who has moved A LOT, I find it can be helpful to try to reframe it as an adventure to a new place with new things and people to discover. I understand if you're not feeling up to that at the moment though, especially since this is all super fresh for you and probably a bit overhwhelming. 

Also, you definitely deserved your spot. The more I think about this process the more I think that for the universities, it's partly a screening process but also it's partly a crapshoot of selecting from a group of people who for the most part are all totally capable of being good doctors. And they even acknowledge that at interviews too. They have to choose somehow and seem fair about it, but honestly it's just about figuring out who to place in those limited spaces, and it's not an easy process to decide (for anyone involved - the thought of going through it again is daunting). Anyway, I know you're feeling a bit down, and that's totally okay. I get it. I didn't get my preferred scenario this week either, and I've been moping at work while trying to remain hopeful all evening haha. Please come join my moping party, I need company.

48 minutes ago, Persephone said:

As a non-science student who only did a couple years of science courses as pre-reqs I have the same worry as you about being behind the other students. When I was at interviews I asked a lot of med students about this and they said they knew quite a number of classmates in the same position and that the curriculum in med school is set up for people with different backgrounds and not to worry. Like you won't really need any organic chemistry or anything. 

I know it's probably stressful to think about moving, (it is such a pain to move provinces). As a person who has moved A LOT, I find it can be helpful to try to reframe it as an adventure to a new place with new things and people to discover. I understand if you're not feeling up to that at the moment though, especially since this is all super fresh for you and probably a bit overhwhelming. 

Also, you definitely deserved your spot. The more I think about this process the more I think that for the universities, it's partly a screening process but also it's partly a crapshoot of selecting from a group of people who for the most part are all totally capable of being good doctors. And they even acknowledge that at interviews too. They have to choose somehow and seem fair about it, but honestly it's just about figuring out who to place in those limited spaces, and it's not an easy process to decide (for anyone involved - the thought of going through it again is daunting). Anyway, I know you're feeling a bit down, and that's totally okay. I get it. I didn't get my preferred scenario this week either, and I've been moping at work while trying to remain hopeful all evening haha. Please come join my moping party, I need company.

Thank you Persephone. What you just said meant so much to me. It really helped me put things into perspective. 
I agree with everything you said about the selection process.
Also, thank you for cheering me up even when you're feeling down. 
I really hope the waitlists bring good news to you!  I'm sure in 2 more weeks there will definitely be movement! Crossing my fingers for you! 
In the meantime, I'll join your moping party :P.

PS: I was going to like your posts but I maxed out my likes for the day. I wlll like it tomorrow !

20 minutes ago, Butterfly_ said:

Thank you Persephone. What you just said meant so much to me. It really helped me put things into perspective. 
I agree with everything you said about the selection process.
Also, thank you for cheering me up even when you're feeling down. 
I really hope the waitlists bring good news to you!  I'm sure in 2 more weeks there will definitely be movement! Crossing my fingers for you! 
In the meantime, I'll join your moping party :P.

PS: I was going to like your posts but I maxed out my likes for the day. I wlll like it tomorrow !

I also maxed out my likes earlier today lol, I got them back in the evening strangely though! So stupid that there are limits on that.

I'm glad I was helpful. It's easier to cheer other people up than myself right now lol. Although, I did just read my monthly horoscope though and some good changes should be coming my way next week! haha

Yay! Welcome to my pity party!

melanie martinez GIF

4 minutes ago, Persephone said:

I also maxed out my likes earlier today lol, I got them back in the evening strangely though! So stupid that there are limits on that.

I'm glad I was helpful. It's easier to cheer other people up than myself right now lol. Although, I did just read my monthly horoscope though and some good changes should be coming my way next week! haha

Yay! Welcome to my pity party!

melanie martinez GIF

Haha love the meme. I heard Mac is already sending out more offers. FlamedGrilledChicken got one today and they just rejected it. So hopefully you'll hear from Mac on Monday!!

FYI, the feeling never goes away. Not even after 2 years of med, not even after lots of positive feedback. I came into med school after a productive basic science PhD, and I still feel that way. The first time I felt "OK" with it was when my PhD supervisor (an important woman in our field, head of the department, successful by all measures) opened up about her imposter syndrome.

It's normal, and it's almost always going to be there. Just accept it :)

Archived