Premed 101 Forums

Is it even worth it to apply?

I don't think you necessarily have to enrol in a 4-year second degree. There are two-year second degrees that can use pre-requisites and have those credits you earned outside of your degree count towards an actual degree. Talk to your University's Associate Dean's Office, and to be honest be pushy about it because it is possible. 

You can apply within that year of your second degree (if that's something you'd like to do), and if you get accepted, woohoo! If not, you'll only have to complete one more year, apply again, with a higher GPA and with a very competitive ABS. 

At the end of the day it all boils down to one thing. Is medicine something you REALLY want, because if that's the case, you'll sacrifice one or two more years of your life, albeit I'm unaware of your life circumstances. In the grand scheme of things, one year is not going to make a huge difference in your life (again depending on circumstances). 

2 hours ago, ABCD13 said:

Hello,

I am a mature applicant and I graduated in 2011 from my degree. My wGPA for Ottawa is exactly 3.855 which is what their English In Province cut off is (I called and asked).

Looking at everyone who even gets an interview, their wGPA is 3.9+ so I'm not sure if I even stand a chance. There is no way for me to upgrade my GPA since I already graduated and the only way is to begin a new degree, which is something I am avoiding.

My EC are diverse: 10 publications, 15 conferences (poster / international oral presentations), started a charity during my undergrad, volunteered in a retirement home, worked at a call centre (not sure if I should state that but it's the truth), etc, etc.

I also have all the prereqs (recently) with a 4.0 in all of them, but unfortunately, these marks won't count towards the wGPA since they weren't a part of my degree. 

I know my GPA is not competitive, so any feedback would really mean a lot to me. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you.

I think you should definitely apply. With your research ECs and a good CASPer, it's possible you would get past the GPA screening. However, as the other poster said, you might require another degree unfortunately, but I think it's worth trying since you seem to have everything else going for you. 

Archived