Premed 101 Forums

Hi all,

Honestly, this post is to get a little reassurance haha.

So I just finished my 4th year UG with two best years 3.7 and 3.79, not the best gpa by any means but meets the Schulich cut-offs as trends have been for a few years. I am retaking the MCAT with hopes of finally meeting cut-offs for SWOMEN (yes I am SWOMEN). 

If I meet the cut-offs I am guaranteed an interview at Schulich. I am pretty confident (and hopeful lol) that I can kill the interview (or so I have been told by many people from my work/volunteering jobs). But I am just worried that my overall score for Schulich will still be low. Are there any success stories out there of having a rather lower gpa and still getting accepted (if not initially from the high wait list) at list from a normal wait list perhaps? How much does everyone think gpa and mcat is taken into account post-interview, I need some motivation, some hope that I can do this!! That I can and will achieve my dreams!

I had a similar mindset. I just got accepted (no waitlist) after 4 years UG. My OMSAS GPA was 3.69. I only had one year above cutoff when i applied and it was 3.74, so the acceptance was conditional on receiving my grades for this past semester. I had 513 MCAT and felt the interview went really well. 

So there is definitely hope!

Hey, I was in a similar-ish position when I interviewed last year :) My best two years were ~3.8. but I'm not SWOMEN and I just barely made the MCAT cut offs to get an interview. I felt a little unsure going into the interview given that I assumed I was probably near the bottom of the list of people they had offered interviews to but I ended up getting an offer of admission without being waitlisted! I think once you get that interview, how you interview is most important so once you get there just focus on that and not your GPA/MCAT :) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2018 at 3:33 PM, Olaf said:

Hey, I was in a similar-ish position when I interviewed last year :) My best two years were ~3.8. but I'm not SWOMEN and I just barely made the MCAT cut offs to get an interview. I felt a little unsure going into the interview given that I assumed I was probably near the bottom of the list of people they had offered interviews to but I ended up getting an offer of admission without being waitlisted! I think once you get that interview, how you interview is most important so once you get there just focus on that and not your GPA/MCAT :) 

Wait? What? You are a definitely a success story! And you’re non swomen! Just what I needed to hear! ;) thank you

just to echo things here a bit and I apologize if this is a repeat but Schulich doesn't interview people that have no hope of getting in. They simply don't have the time/resources to waste (basically why bother). They already have strict enough cut offs to remove 80%+ of the applicant pool. Everyone that gets an interview has a good chance - that is just how the system is set up.

That means if you do hit their cut offs and thus get an interview (which almost certainly you will - the school has to give itself a small wiggle room instance someone at cut offs but say a mass murder applies - they will not give that person an interview) - then you have a good chance of acceptance - plus you quite likely can apply multiple times as well if needed in case you don't get in the first time. 

So yeah - work your ass off to get the scores you need, mcat and GPA etc, because you have a good shot if you hit the totals. 

On 5/12/2018 at 3:33 PM, Olaf said:

yeah see this is the sort of stuff I try to make sure doesn't happen ha - you cannot ever think you are bottom of any pile if you get an interview. That can consciously or subconsciously sabotage your chances at the interview. Schulich doesn't interview people they wouldn't be completely happy about accepted based on pre interview scoring. As a result people get in all the time regardless of how far they were above the cut offs. It is even better if you are SWOMEN but that is just gravy.  

Archived