Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist for top preference?

I'm extremely excited to have gotten accepted into IMP for next year even though it was my second choice. I was torn between VFMP and IMP so it didn't matter which one I got into , as long as I got into one! 

However, since I put VFMP first on my application, I guess i am also placed on a waitlist for that site even if I accept the IMP spot (which I already did). So I'm just wondering if there is much movement on this waitlist, I know on the online system it says that it rarely happens but could still happen up to the first day of classes. Also, if it happens that I get an offer to VFMP later in the summer, do I still have the option to decline and stay with IMP. At this point I'm pretty set on just staying put on the island :)

thanks!

Yes, you can choose to stay in IMP if you wish.

Source: http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/2018/05/11/waitlist-questions-2018/

1. What if I have accepted an offer to my second (or third or fourth) choice and have decided I want to stay there? Do I have to accept an offer to my first choice site if I receive one?

You can stay at a less-preferred site if you would like to. We will take you off the waitlist for your preferred site(s). Please message us to let us know, and be aware that this decision is final. You will not be put back on the waitlist for your first (or second, etc) choice site.

39 minutes ago, radoodoo said:

Thanks for the reply!

Would you interpret that, that if I get an offer to VFMP later in the summer then I am forced to switch to the Vancouver site and the only way to stay at IMP is to message them now to tell them to take me off the waitlist? 

It seems a bit ambiguous to me, but I'd say email them to clarify if you are worried about it. Then you can make a decision to remove yourself from the waitlist for VFMP with full knowledge.

2 hours ago, radoodoo said:

Thanks for the reply!

Would you interpret that, that if I get an offer to VFMP later in the summer then I am forced to switch to the Vancouver site and the only way to stay at IMP is to message them now to tell them to take me off the waitlist?

I'd interpret it as them offering you VFMP, and it being up to you to accept or decline - so not being forced into doing anything.

It probably isn't a bad idea though to send an email seeking clarification.

what is our chances of getting into our first choice? I have seen in 2017 posts that some people got in VMFP off of waitlist which suggests that other people who already had offers and had gotten their second choice must have been offered VMFP and there was still room for people from the waitlist to get into VMFP - I'm assuming people with offers get priority over site preference

14 hours ago, scorpio said:

what is our chances of getting into our first choice? I have seen in 2017 posts that some people got in VMFP off of waitlist which suggests that other people who already had offers and had gotten their second choice must have been offered VMFP and there was still room for people from the waitlist to get into VMFP - I'm assuming people with offers get priority over site preference

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/files/2013/05/Information-sheet-re-site-selection-Final.pdf

The last page of this doc from 2013 said around 89% of people get their 1st choice of site.

• 3 years later...
On 5/12/2018 at 10:33 AM, radoodoo said:

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry for bringing up an old thread! But I am in a similar boat - did you end up emailing them and ask? If they offer in second round, are you forced to switch or have the option to remain at the site given during original round of offers. 

21 hours ago, rainingvancity said:

Sorry for bringing up an old thread! But I am in a similar boat - did you end up emailing them and ask? If they offer in second round, are you forced to switch or have the option to remain at the site given during original round of offers. 

You have the option to switch or remain at the site! You're not forced to switch :)