Premed 101 Forums

Having research publications make up for a low GPA?

For a university such as UofT which prefers its MD applicants to have research experience, do you think having publications can "make up" for a lower wGPA such as 3.88? I'm worried that I will not be invited for interviews due to my low marks but I have a lot of experience in research and in my opinion, good ECs. 

Thanks in advance!

18 hours ago, Eudaimonia said:

ECs are also very important and your wGPA isn't as bad as you think because a lot of those who choose to post have high stats. You'll also find accepted applicants who don't have 3.9+. 

The essays are also an important component. Definitely apply!

Thank you for your reassurance! I've been reading that UofT has a competitive GPA cutoff which is assessed each year and is usually something like 3.88 and only those who meet this are invited to interviews. Do you know whether this is true?

They for sure have a hard cutoff you have to meet in order for them to evaluate your file, and then there is the "competitive cutoff" which has a LOT of debate/confusion about what it is exactly. You should be able to find discussions about it in the UofT topics, like 

So it seems a higher GPA is more beneficial even past the cutoffs, but don't disregard the rest of your application; if you think they are strong, they can make up for a less competitive GPA. This is the point of their holistic evaluation

Archived