Premed 101 Forums

Introducing MDbuddy! The first ever free Canadian Medical School GPA/wGPA Calculator!

Hello I've been working on an app/webapp this past year. Basically it calculates your GPA and wGPA. This is most useful for those who are thinking of applying to med school in the future and are unsure where they stand!

IT IS A 100% FREE/AD FREE/ EMAIL FREE SERVICE!

What is MD Buddy? MD Buddy is a webapp designed to aid Canadian students on their journey to become M.Ds!

Some of the features provided by MD buddy include:  

• Provides/displays its results in both chart and graph form, to provide users with a visual representation of where they stand, compared to each school.
  • Sore grades for easier access in the future!

Currently the app is in beta, so please provide feedback so I can get everything fixed. If there are also some small features you would like to see added, message me and I will see what I can do!

So far the app is only for android, because apparently you need an apple product to code IOS, and I don't own an iMacPro or something.

Webapp link

Google playstore: App link 

Please provide your constructive/positive feedback in the appstore, thanks!.

Here's the app in action1.thumb.PNG.23a9e20452a818bd23f30c7bc19e6890.PNG2.thumb.PNG.1f56fe3214700bce4df50e3c4969ddb2.PNG

i cant seem to get it to work... what values are being put in for the GPA? example uottawa would i put in 'A-' '8' or '3.7' value i've tried all 3. the numerical values gave me a gpa of 0 and alpha values gave me wrong GPA results

also another possible feature to consider is the addiction of summer courses and considering them in calculations for those that add summer credits in gpa vs those that don't

1 hour ago, abouttimeijoined said:

i cant seem to get it to work... what values are being put in for the GPA? example uottawa would i put in 'A-' '8' or '3.7' value i've tried all 3. the numerical values gave me a gpa of 0 and alpha values gave me wrong GPA results

also another possible feature to consider is the addiction of summer courses and considering them in calculations for those that add summer credits in gpa vs those that don't

For Ottawa specifically, you put in your LETTER GRADE {A+, A, A-, B+, B.....,F}. 

You DO NOT need to type in the GPA as that's what the program does for you! Also do not add spaces or quotation marks to the letters.

If you are having bugs with the website in general go back to the main page and start over, that usually fixes things (sometimes the server doesn't send data, something I don't have control over).

As for the fact that alpha values give wrong results. I checked the code, and I don't see the problem. I used data from OSMAS .

But hey I could be wrong, so can you please try again and submit screenshots or submit an email to me? Please let me know as I want to get to the bottom of this soon.

Finally for that new feature, I like the idea so I will look into it. Do you know which Med-schools count summer courses, because I hear most don't. Thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2018 at 11:04 PM, Professor Actual Factual said:

For Ottawa specifically, you put in your LETTER GRADE {A+, A, A-, B+, B.....,F}. 

You DO NOT need to type in the GPA as that's what the program does for you! Also do not add spaces or quotation marks to the letters.

If you are having bugs with the website in general go back to the main page and start over, that usually fixes things (sometimes the server doesn't send data, something I don't have control over).

As for the fact that alpha values give wrong results. I checked the code, and I don't see the problem. I used data from OSMAS .

But hey I could be wrong, so can you please try again and submit screenshots or submit an email to me? Please let me know as I want to get to the bottom of this soon.

Finally for that new feature, I like the idea so I will look into it. Do you know which Med-schools count summer courses, because I hear most don't. Thanks :)

UBC does, but not for the year you're applying in -> ie: summer courses from may-aug 2018 will not count for GPA calculations for 2018/19 cycle, but will for 2019/20 cycle.

I'm not sure about other schools. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 5:32 AM, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

UBC does, but not for the year you're applying in -> ie: summer courses from may-aug 2018 will not count for GPA calculations for 2018/19 cycle, but will for 2019/20 cycle.

I'm not sure about other schools. 

Thank you Mr. Clever-y-Guy!

On 5/18/2018 at 1:06 AM, abouttimeijoined said:

Well, I never really 'fixed' your problem, but if you want to add summer courses, check the FAQ, I have listed a set of instructions on how to do so!

9 hours ago, dopamineislife said:

At Waterloo, each of our courses has a weight of 0.5. Our labs are separate courses, with a weight of 0.25. How do I enter this then? Does this calculator assume the same weight for all courses? 

Well, I'm sorry as I did not know that Waterloo does that, I assumed each university was like my own.

MDbuddy counts all courses as 0.5 by default, and 1.0 when checked. As I do NOT have a 0.25 weighting feature implemented on the app so far (more work than you'd think, as I'd have to redo the entire framework). 

EDIT: Check the post below! Its fixed. Solution was actually really easy.

1 hour ago, Professor Actual Factual said:

Well, I'm sorry as I did not know that Waterloo does that, I assumed each university was like my own.

MDbuddy counts all courses as 0.5 by default, and 1.0 when checked. As I do NOT have a 0.25 weighting feature implemented on the app so far (more work than you'd think, as I'd have to redo the entire framework). 

One way to get past this is to count all your normal courses (0.5) as worth 1.0 and all your lab courses (0.25) as worth 0.5. This means that you check-mark your normal courses, and leave the labs unchecked. If you have a full year course that is worth (1.0) you can just type in the course in two separate boxes and give them BOTH check-marks.

This will work because weights are just relative.

Thank you for your feedback on the website, all other feedback is appreciated and hopefully we can make the website more accurate and a better place for all.

Here is an example.

Capture.PNG

Waterloo isn't alone actually :) There many places where courses can be 0.25, 0.75, 1.0 or 1.5 as well. I run into all those different weighting systems when helping people figure out their situation.

1 hour ago, rmorelan said:

Waterloo isn't alone actually :) There many places where courses can be 0.25, 0.75, 1.0 or 1.5 as well. I run into all those different weighting systems when helping people figure out their situation.

It turned out the fix was actually super easy. Just changed check-boxes to drop-down-lists.

Thanks for the new information, now the website is compatible with all weightings. :cool::cool:

PLEASE IGNORE THE POSTS ABOVE, THE WEIGHTINGS ARE NOW FIXED, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DOUBLE SELECT A COURSE ANYMORE, hopefully...

rMorlen Id appreciate if you remove the picture from your quote, so that we don't confuse people any further. Thanks

If any of you experience bugs with the new weighting system please let me know ASAP

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, mdhopefully said:

Mcgill, mcmaster, and Queens also count summer courses in their gpa calculation mate

My understanding is that Queen's doesn't take summer courses if you're 2-year gpa is higher than your cgpa

On 8/4/2018 at 11:28 AM, mdhopefully said:

Mcgill, mcmaster, and Queens also count summer courses in their gpa calculation mate

Added to the FAQ

23 hours ago, Abramula said:

I don't know if it affects eligibility or GPA, but should Pass/Fail classes have a spot in this?  Great work btw!

I will add a pass or fail mechanism soon, in the meanwhile just use (A+, F) or (100,0). Thanks

Archived