Premed 101 Forums

27 minutes ago, indi said:

Hi all, 

Does anyone have any insight on the process of transferring residency programs? Is there a formal process and deadline for these cases? How difficult is it to arrange such a transfer? 

Specific details of this case:

• transferring within the same specialty (e.g. gen surg at school x to gen surg at school y)
  • PGY1
  • transferring to a new province
  • transferring for personal reasons (to unite with spouse)

Try using the search function, and if after that you're still not satisfied i'm sure someone will gladly help.

Looking at your post history, you were just accepted to medical school. Being proactive is great, but its a bit too early for that.

48 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

Try using the search function, and if after that you're still not satisfied i'm sure someone will gladly help.

Looking at your post history, you were just accepted to medical school. Being proactive is great, but its a bit too early for that.

Yes lol definitely early for me to be asking this question but I'm actually asking for my partner! Unfortunately the schools I was accepted to are all quite far from where he is training. 

To add: there isn't much info on this topic that I can find so any help would be appreciated.

It's possible but it depends on a lot of factors outside your control. Generally you go through your PGME office, and it's dependant on the place you want to go having a spot/funding available for you since funding does not cross provincial boundaries. If its a less competitive specialty with spots open for carms round 2 usually that greatly increases your chances. If your spouse is a resident as well they should approach their PD/the PD of your desired program to try and make a case for you, which will help.

Archived