Premed 101 Forums

Where do most first year med students live?

The majority of students seem to live off campus, somewhere not necessarily close, but convenient to get to class. I think it’s hard to get student housing because the deadlines have passed, so most students on campus are living in rented condos. There are also some people who live at home and commute in, but it’s less common.

Most of it is personal preference. Do you want to save money? Be able to sleep in an run to class at 7:55am? Or be able to stay at the library late and walk home? Or be in a dense neighbourhood with easy access to amenities and great food/drinks when you’re not studying?

1st year is mostly at UBC and 2nd year mostly at VGH, but there’s some back and forth to both locations both years. So Kits and other neighbourhoods between UBC and VGH are all popular places to live. But lots of people also live further east. Proximity to bus routes to VGH and UBC is often a major consideration.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm moving to Vancouver from Ontario and I'm finding the process very difficult. Understandably, not a lot of people want to rent out a room for 4 months only (relocating to a distributed site in Jan).

Any tips?

15 hours ago, mh_1 said:

I'm moving to Vancouver from Ontario and I'm finding the process very difficult. Understandably, not a lot of people want to rent out a room for 4 months only (relocating to a distributed site in Jan).

Any tips?

Maybe try looking for a sublet from another student who is going away for first term (on exchange or whatever) - you might have more luck with places on campus, although they tend to be more expensive than others. As well, as you don't need to give notice until 30 days before moving out, most places for September won't come up until late July/August. I also heard that there is a housing website that the med students have access to, mostly to find places to stay during clerkship, but it might be useful for the Sep-Dec space; I think we should get access to this during the summer?

17 hours ago, mh_1 said:

Any tips?

If you're not already in the UBC Medicine 2022 Facebook group (it contains the incoming class but also all upper years as well), I'd recommend joining that as there has already been a decent amount of discussion regarding living situations and people finding roommates, sublets while they're away on rotations, etc. Worth a shot!

On 6/11/2018 at 9:16 PM, mh_1 said:

Any tips?

I was a distributed site student as well.

I connected with a finishing second year student who was moving to a different city for clerkship and just extended the rent off of his contract for 4 months. The landlord was happy for another individual to move in without too much hassle. The facebook site is probably the best place to start this search.

Archived