Premed 101 Forums

Lost/need help!

Hello

Its me again! I would love to get some feedback from my fellows here. I will be 27 year old SK resident who has graduated from Usask in 2015 with double major. My average is anywhere between 86-88%. My MCAT is 500, which is low!

This was my third time applying to USASK and gotten rejection each time. Now I do have option of going to US to get my DO this upcoming August but there are couple of problem. First is of course, the funding. I might or not might not get loan. Second, the no-way of coming back to SK to practice as we are ineligible for residency in SK as DO. I do want to state that I am from low income family. My options are:

1. Re-try with MCAT (not a guarantee)

2. go to DO school and forget about SK

3. Go to DO school but not sure if I can still apply to Usask (?). This sounds controversial! 

Thanks everyone for your continuous support!!!

Personally, I would take one more year and REALLY bear down and try new study techniques. Get that MCAT up over 505.

Also spend the year volunteering and doing things your passionate about/working depending if you have to.

Your GPA is definitely competitive as an IP applicant... get that MCAT up!

On 5/16/2018 at 3:31 PM, MDPLZ said:

Personally, I would take one more year and REALLY bear down and try new study techniques. Get that MCAT up over 505.

Also spend the year volunteering and doing things your passionate about/working depending if you have to.

Your GPA is definitely competitive as an IP applicant... get that MCAT up!

Exactly. You have everything else that's needed, and the MCAT is arguably one of the "easiest" thing to pull up since it depends only on you. Give it all you've got, study many hours a day for many months, and above all, go through MANY practice tests and questions (Next Step and uWorld come to mind).

It can be done, I went 503 -> 516 in 3 months of very intensive study and practice (~15 hr/day). Obviously you don't need a score that's even close to that for Sask if you're IP, so it's even more doable!

Good luck!

Archived