Premed 101 Forums

What counts as an academic vs non-academic reference?

Would my research supervisor, that is also linked to my university but has not directly taught me in any courses count as an academic reference, since they do the ability to comment on my academic abilities? P.s I am not doing a thesis with them but am just working on a research project. 

22 minutes ago, Eudaimonia said:

Definitely counts as an academic referee because they know you in an academic setting 

I have been wondering this also. Does it count as an academic reference if the research supervisor is not linked to the university? Eg. a research supervisor from a hospital, government or organizational setting? The nature of the project is still research but not with the uni

1 hour ago, Eudaimonia said:

Definitely counts as an academic referee because they know you in an academic setting 

No, this is not necessarily true. It depends on the definition of academic reference at the school(s) to which you are applying. Some schools have stricter definitions — e.g. at UBC an appropriate academic reference is defined as someone who has taught you in at least one course (which can include thesis or directed study courses). 

1 hour ago, caramilk said:

I have been wondering this also. Does it count as an academic reference if the research supervisor is not linked to the university? Eg. a research supervisor from a hospital, government or organizational setting? The nature of the project is still research but not with the uni

I would regard that as academic as well, since research is of an academic nature. Unless you're worried about a specific school's criteria for academic reference, this is what should be generally accepted 

edit: as frenchpress noted for UBC, unless the school specified, it should count

Archived