Premed 101 Forums

Carrying two acceptances

Hi. I have been accepted to two programs in different provinces (Ontario and BC) and im wondering if i accept both and pay the deposit to both how long i can keep both? I will know within two week of the date the deposits have to be paid but personal circumstances mean i will not be able to decide until then (June 13). Does anyone know if there is any communication between the schools  or if this could be trouble? Thank you. 

1 minute ago, dazedandconfusedx3 said:

Hi. I have been accepted to two programs in different provinces (Ontario and BC) and im wondering if i accept both and pay the deposit to both how long i can keep both? I will know within two week of the date the deposits have to be paid but personal circumstances mean i will not be able to decide until then (June 13). Does anyone know if there is any communication between the schools  or if this could be trouble? Thank you. 

Technically if you pay the deposit for each program, you can keep both until you actually matriculate in August. There isn't much communication between schools, but for schools in Ontario under OMSAS. OMSAS centrally manages everything so if your two programs were in Ontario that would have been a different story as OMSAS wouldn't allow for that in the system.

7 minutes ago, Itanne said:

I'm not sure if this means much or if it's just a tactic that's used to scare us, but at the bottom of UofT's acceptance email it says "Candidates are permitted to hold one acceptance to a Canadian medical school. The medical schools in Canada share acceptance information, and holding more than one position will jeopardize your admission."

Agreed. That's the official answer. However, OP had mentioned that they will make a decision by mid-June. There will still be movements in mid-June across all schools so it will not likely pose to be a problem from a practical pov.

On 5/19/2018 at 11:07 AM, InternistInTraining said:

i dont think it will be too much of a problem. I see alot of those accepted at one school carrying their waitlist status in other schools

The "official" policies are regarding holding two acceptances but it's perfectly fine to have one acceptance and keep your position on the waitlist of another in case you get into the more preferred school 

It does seem that they don't do a ton of checking with this stuff - although you do never know when that will change. Of course the schools don't like it as it would potentially lead them being prevented from acquiring the students they ranked higher. Officially you cannot accept and hold waitlists, and with some of the moves to integrate the process at some point I would suspect it would be impossible. 

Archived