Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HeLa

50% off Lasik Eye Surgery?!?!

Recommended Posts

Hi there,

 

Has anyone else heard that uOttawa med students are eligible for 50% off Lasik Eye Surgery?

If so, can you please direct me to who I should talk to and/or how to go about taking advantage of this offer?

 

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2018 at 9:13 PM, HeLa said:

Hi there,

 

Has anyone else heard that uOttawa med students are eligible for 50% off Lasik Eye Surgery?

If so, can you please direct me to who I should talk to and/or how to go about taking advantage of this offer?

 

Thanks in advance!

I believe it's for all Canadian med students (through the CFMS), and only at Lasik MD. Here's the link: https://www.lasikmd.com/corporate/cfms

I had it done in September, zero regrets. The procedure itself was more unconfortable than I expected and the 24 hours afterwards was  admittedly more painful than I expected (felt like I had sand in my eyes, the painkillers helped but I was still pretty uncomfortable). I then had some fairly mild dry eye for about 8 months (totally manageable with basic lubricating eye drops), but now have perfect vision and no regrets. 

It is so nice to be able to no longer deal with daily contacts or glasses fogging up/getting rain on them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OwnerOfTheTARDIS said:

I believe it's for all Canadian med students (through the CFMS), and only at Lasik MD. Here's the link: https://www.lasikmd.com/corporate/cfms

I had it done in September, zero regrets. The procedure itself was more unconfortable than I expected and the 24 hours afterwards was  admittedly more painful than I expected (felt like I had sand in my eyes, the painkillers helped but I was still pretty uncomfortable). I then had some fairly mild dry eye for about 8 months (totally manageable with basic lubricating eye drops), but now have perfect vision and no regrets. 

It is so nice to be able to no longer deal with daily contacts or glasses fogging up/getting rain on them. 

I agree! I had it done in October 2015, and I have absolutely zero regrets. My vision is still 20/20 :) Everything looked wonky and it made me nauseous, but it went away within a few days. I also had trouble focusing for about a week. 

The procedure itself doesn't hurt because of the amount of numbing drops that the surgeon puts (I was a surgical assistant at Lasik and I saw first hand how much drops they put in your eyes, which is a whole lot haha), but you feel pressure when the surgeon puts the speculum in your eye (to hold your lids) and "vacuum" (to keep your eye still while they make the flap). It takes about 15-20 minutes total (less than 10 minutes per eye), although it depends on the surgeon.

I already talked about the discount in another thread, but I'll repeat it here in case someone else wants to know :) Any medical school student can get the discount, which is about 50%. You only need your student ID card as proof of enrollment. The discount is valid at any Lasik MD in Canada. Also, they ask what your occupation is on the form. If they see you're a medical student, they will bring up the discount when discussing the price at the last step of the appointment.

And it's not only medical school students that can benefit from the discount, some other professional programs are eligible for it too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2018 at 8:15 PM, Maggie19 said:

I agree! I had it done in October 2015, and I have absolutely zero regrets. My vision is still 20/20 :) Everything looked wonky and it made me nauseous, but it went away within a few days. I also had trouble focusing for about a week. 

The procedure itself doesn't hurt because of the amount of numbing drops that the surgeon puts (I was a surgical assistant at Lasik and I saw first hand how much drops they put in your eyes, which is a whole lot haha), but you feel pressure when the surgeon puts the speculum in your eye (to hold your lids) and "vacuum" (to keep your eye still while they make the flap). It takes about 15-20 minutes total (less than 10 minutes per eye), although it depends on the surgeon.

I already talked about the discount in another thread, but I'll repeat it here in case someone else wants to know :) Any medical school student can get the discount, which is about 50%. You only need your student ID card as proof of enrollment. The discount is valid at any Lasik MD in Canada. Also, they ask what your occupation is on the form. If they see you're a medical student, they will bring up the discount when discussing the price at the last step of the appointment.

And it's not only medical school students that can benefit from the discount, some other professional programs are eligible for it too!

That’s it! I forgot about the vacuum! Even though I had tons of numbing and couldn’t feel my actual eyes, I found the vacuum borderline painful in a weird, almost surreal way. My my surgeon had given me a blanket (the OR is cold) and stress balls to squeeze so I was fairly comfortable overall.

Also, just so you know, I had to bring up the discount and they initially had no idea what I was talking about and I had to email a link to the website, so don’t be afraid to advocate for yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×