Premed 101 Forums

Any Questions for a Queen's PT student?

Congrats on the acceptances everybody! And for those still on the waitlist, I wish you the best of luck hopefully the waitlists move in your favour.

Currently a Queen's PT student so if you have any questions you can PM me or post here.

Look forward to meeting some of you in the fall!

Thank you for doing this! I would really love to learn more about Queens PT before I make my decision.

1) What are some of your likes and dislikes about the program so far? Including the school and program itself, courses, placement opportunities, etc.

2) What are your thoughts on the Queens catchment area? Do you find that there is a good variety of opportunities?

3) What do you think makes Queens different from the other PT programs?

1) Like/Dislike: You get to go on placement earlier than the other programs in January however, your first semester is really hectic. In order to be ready for your first placement so early, your first semester is quite busy but after first year, it calms down quite a bit. The program is really front-loaded so you get all the work done early on but it's a bit stressful.

2) Catchment area is alright. Some placements you will be in really small towns (again, could be a pro or a con), while others you will be right in downtown kingston (which is amazing in the summer time). The variety of opportunities is good because you also have the chance to go to the NOSM if you are interested in that.

3) All the PT programs are the same in terms of value. They are all difficult to get into and all provide a world class education with great instructors teaching you. The main difference about Queen's is the earlier placement in January. Sorry that probably doesn't give you much.. Any program you choose will be fantastic, however if you aren't a great self-learner/independent student then I probably wouldn't suggest Mac due to PBL. Best of luck!

Hey thanks for doing this! I was looking into the clinical placements for Queens, and it seems like the first one is right when students get back from December break and is at the beginning of January. This seems quite early! Did you think that you benefitted from this early placement? Or did it feel like a waste because you may not have had enough knowledge to understand what was happening? Thanks!

12 hours ago, NorthernOntarioGal said:

Hey! How does the catchment area thing work? Are there some placements in kingston or are you relocated for the most part? Can you give preference for where your placement is? By NOSM do you mean the med school in Sudbury?

Basically Queen's catchment is very large but includes lots of smaller cities. It's probably not possible to stay in Kingston every placement since they are highly sought after by other students in your class/program. Sometimes you will get second rounded and will be stuck in a smaller city (however being second rounded is a reality in every program, you will learn more about choosing placements in the program). Yes you give your top five preferences for each placement. The Northern placements aren't at the NOSM school but they run through it, so if you wanted a northern ontario placement you go through both Queen's and NOSM and they will find you a spot with accommodations. 

12 hours ago, PT.2018 said:

Hey thanks for doing this! I was looking into the clinical placements for Queens, and it seems like the first one is right when students get back from December break and is at the beginning of January. This seems quite early! Did you think that you benefitted from this early placement? Or did it feel like a waste because you may not have had enough knowledge to understand what was happening? Thanks!

Yeah... basically your first semester is a whirlwind of work. You take all your major foundation courses in the first semester and it becomes quite hectic so they can send you to placement early. However the early placement is awesome because in reality you learn way more on placements than you ever will in class. I felt way more competent as a student coming back from placement and the early placement is great for getting you ready early in the program.

Thanks for the reply! I'm from the North so doing a placement here would be perfect for me. I'm just wondering if they give preference because I have family scattered in a few different cities in southern ON too, so it would be perfect if I could live with them. I don't have any other specific questions, but is there any advice/heads up you want to give? I know Queens does the anatomy crash course, so I'm definitely gonna be spending the summer studying. 

Advice I would give would be to enjoy it. You are definitely going to be overwhelmed because PT school is incredibly difficult in terms of workload and stress. I would say to remember that you are with 70 other people in the same boat and to just enjoy it. Go out with friends, go to the gym, play sports, don't spend every weekend studying until you pass out. Try to maintain a good balance because the 2 years fly by pretty quick.

Thanks, that's really good advice! I've heard that it's so intensive that it makes undergrad looks like child's play. But balance is definitely necessary.

I actually have another question, can you give advice for what areas to live in? I have a car, but is it worth parking at school? Is it better to be closer to campus to walk/public transit?

16 minutes ago, NorthernOntarioGal said:

Thanks, that's really good advice! I've heard that it's so intensive that it makes undergrad looks like child's play. But balance is definitely necessary.

I actually have another question, can you give advice for what areas to live in? I have a car, but is it worth parking at school? Is it better to be closer to campus to walk/public transit?

I second this question about what areas to live in. Do you have any recommendations for apartment buildings? I would be interested in a bachelor, 1 or 2 bedroom that is a close commute to campus.

Also, can you speak a little about the student life and profs in the program? Thanks again :)

48 minutes ago, NorthernOntarioGal said:

It's definitely nice to be close to campus, the Kingston transit system is not the greatest. Depending on your lifestyle I wouldn't suggest living north of campus in the student ghetto, it's nice to visit on homecoming and St. Pats day but I def wouldn't want to live in it. There is parking close by campus that you can probably use, some of my classmates park nearby so I think it's a viable option if you live further away.

30 minutes ago, churros31 said:

I second this question about what areas to live in. Do you have any recommendations for apartment buildings? I would be interested in a bachelor, 1 or 2 bedroom that is a close commute to campus.

Also, can you speak a little about the student life and profs in the program? Thanks again :)

Honestly not really... I would say anywhere within a 20 min walk that is not within the student ghetto north of campus is a good option.

Student life is fun, you will meet a lot of great people in orientation. The profs are great however, like all programs there are some great and some not so great lol. Depends on your learning style.

4 hours ago, PT_93 said:

Basically Queen's catchment is very large but includes lots of smaller cities. It's probably not possible to stay in Kingston every placement since they are highly sought after by other students in your class/program. Sometimes you will get second rounded and will be stuck in a smaller city (however being second rounded is a reality in every program, you will learn more about choosing placements in the program). Yes you give your top five preferences for each placement. The Northern placements aren't at the NOSM school but they run through it, so if you wanted a northern ontario placement you go through both Queen's and NOSM and they will find you a spot with accommodations. 

so if it's far do you have to rent a place when your on your placement? would it be a good idea to own a car so you can commute better?

18 minutes ago, Zurv said:

so if it's far do you have to rent a place when your on your placement? would it be a good idea to own a car so you can commute better?

I would recommend a car, you aren't guaranteed a spot in kingston so it would definitely help for commutes. Yeah unless you have family in the city, you may have to pay double rent.

8 minutes ago, NorthernOntarioGal said:

Where is the student ghetto? Lots of places on kijiji say "close to campus" but I definitely don't want to live in partyville...

a Square Between University and Division and then between Johnson and Earl. It's like a small square above the Queen's ARC.

Thanks. Is there a big price difference between places that are walking distance to the school and places farther away? I'd rather be closer since I'd be closer to downtown too, but if there's a huge difference then obviously it's not worth it. Also whereabouts on campus are your classes? I've never been to kingston/queens, so I'm just looking at google maps.

To be honest, Kingston is pretty expensive either way. It's more about if the offer shows up. If there is an available spot close to campus, jump on it, you will be paying relatively similar prices whether you are closer/further away from campus.

Archived